LAP TOP SCREEN IS TURNS DARK WHEN NOT ACTIVE RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Vista Lap Top turns black when not in use for an extended period of time.In order for me to get it working again I need

to push the button on the side of the lap top to totally shut it down and then I need to restart it. This works most of the time and sometimes I have a to repeat this a few times before it works.

Is this a software problem or a hardware problem and what do I have to do to fix it?

Thank you

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:36 AM

All replies

• I ran into this before.  You can look at your power settings within Control Panel.  Once in there, look at your "Power Plan" and look at "edit settings".  I had one unit, one time, only on this particular unit, that when the laptop monitor went to sleep, the computer would still run, but it wouldn't wake up.

You can go in there and disable the Hibernate/Standby.  I believe the Standby (from memory, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong) option is right there.  You can go to advanced and look in the "sleep/hibernate" area to disabled the hibernation as well as the turning off the hard disk.  Then, after you do this, just have your monitor go to sleep after about 1 minute and when it powers off, wait a few minutes and move the mouse or keyboard and see if it comes on.  If so, it is either the standby, sleep, or hibernation. 

Monday, March 25, 2013 9:05 PM