SQL Backup and restore of Content databases has lost user site permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to set up a duplicate SharePoint environment for testing service packs and other updates.

I have used a SQL backup and restore method of migrating the content databases as I have several times before without issue.

However, I am currently having an issue where the user site permissions such as their group membership is not being correctly transferred across. All the site content is provisioned correctly and it even shows the Users in the groups, however if I try to access the site as that user they get an access denied error. If I re-add the user (I.E delete the name and give them permissions again) they have access, however their are currently 100s of user to add so it would not be a viable solution to do all of this manually.

Both the original and the new duplicate farms are on the same domain and or otherwise identical in set up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:46 PM

Answers

• Hey Luke,

I think you have changed the version of the database server when you did a back-up and restore.

I had faced the same problem. I had to map the users again in the people and group. Also, if there are any custom databases which are present then you will have to fix the orphaned users as told in the following link http://www.fileformat.info/tip/microsoft/sql_orphan_user.htm 

Hope this is helpful.

sharath kumart shivarama
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:56 PM