Viewing Permissions for Shared Items within individual Outlook mailbox folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Exchange 2010 w/ outlook 2010.

I have a question about monitoring sharing permissions within Outlook/Exchange. As an administrator, if I give UserA permissions to UserB's mailbox, I can use Powershell or EMC to see who has permissions on UserB. However, if UserB uses outlook and shares a specific mailbox folder or subfolder, how would I monitor that?

To replicate the behavior. Open UserB's mailbox. Right click on specific folder and click properties. Click on permissions tab. Add UserA as reviewer, editor, etc. When I use the command:

Get-MailboxPermission -Identity userb@contoso.com | Format-List

I don't see UserB among the people who have access to the account. Is there any way to get this information by querying the exchange server?

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:55 PM

Answers

• You have to specify a path if you are looking for the permission of a specific folder:

Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity userb@contoso.com:\FolderName | Format-List

• Marked as answer by Joseph_F Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:45 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:23 PM

All replies

• Try this: Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity userb@contoso.com | Format-List
    Monday, September 30, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. When I enter that command, I only get two results, both of them list the Folder as "Top of Information Store", giving the Default user and the anonymous user no access rights.
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:18 PM
  • You have to specify a path if you are looking for the permission of a specific folder:

Get-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity userb@contoso.com:\FolderName | Format-List

• Marked as answer by Joseph_F Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:45 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Thanks, I think that is what I was looking for. I think the next step is to create the script to get all of the folders for the user and send the output to a CSV. I'll look into some of those commands

Thursday, October 3, 2013 7:56 PM
  • I found a great script here:

http://exchangeblog.pl/en/2013/03/list-exchange-mailbox-folder-permissions-script/

Thursday, October 3, 2013 11:32 PM