none
Guest fails to start with nested virtualization enabled.

Question

• I need to enable nested virtualization on a guest running in Hyper-V so that I can use a VMWare Workstation effectively on the guest.

Server is a Dell PowerEdge R410 with two Intel Xeon E5645 (VT-X with EPT is supported) running Windows Server 2016 Build 14393.  The guest is Windows 10 version 1803, using Hyper-V configuration version 8 generation 2.  

When nested virtualization is enabled with "Set-VMProcessor -VMName Windows10 -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true" the guest fails to start.  It gets to "starting 10%" then returns to the off state.  The system event log displays the error "Windows10 has encountered a fatal error and a memory dump has been generated.  The guest operating system reported that it failed with the following error code: 0x1E.  If the problem persists, contact Product Support for the guest operating system.  (Virtual machine ID 228E40F4-227B-44D5-B7D8-49A070BBE734)".  

• Edited by jtbis123 Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:56 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:54 AM

All replies

• Microsoft supports Hyper-V nested virtualization.  It does not support VMware nested virtualization.

"I need to enable nested virtualization on a guest running in Hyper-V so that I can use a VMWare Workstation effectively on the guest.

Server is a Dell PowerEdge R410 with two Intel Xeon E5645 (VT-X with EPT is supported) running Windows Server 2016 Build 14393.  The guest is Windows 10 version 1803, using Hyper-V configuration version 8 generation 2. "

Your explanation is not very clear.  You said you want to use VMware workstation on a guest.  Then you say your guest is Windows 10 with Hyper-V enabled.  You cannot have both Hyper-V and VMware enabled on the same system.  So you would enable either Hyper-V or VMware, but not both.  But, since you say you are trying to do this in a guest, you can only enable Hyper-V.  VMware is not supported.

tim

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 3:51 PM
  •   As Tim said, nested virtualization is now supported but with strict conditions.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

Bill

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:54 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

I don't understand your description very well. As I understand, your guest is win10 and create Hyper-V on it, and now, you also want to use VMware workstation on it, but it failed, if I misunderstood, please let me know.

I agree with Tim. We can’t create Hyper-V and VMware on the same system. For the detail information, you can refer to following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

This is Daniel and wish you all the best!

May I know whether your problem is solved? If you have any question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 2:10 AM
  • Hi,

Hope you are doing well!

I haven't received your reply for a while, how is the problem now, if your problem is solved, would you please share your experience with us? if there is anything need to help, please let me know.

In addition, if anyone’s reply is helpful to your problem, please mark it as an answer at your convenience so that other people wo have similar problem can refer to. I appreciate your cooperation!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:12 AM