Problem with the taskbar & desktop on Windows 7! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Windows 7, Graphics Card is a 1gb ATI 5870. Screen resolution was 1920x1080.

Everything was fine up until an hour ago. Was looking through my old games box & found my Galactic Civilizations 1 box. So for nostalgic reasons I installed it. I created a new game, then had to nip out for a few minutes, so exited the game & left it at the main screen. I came back in & exited the game. However after that happened I immediately noticed a problem with the desktop. At the left hand side of the screen I could only see half of the icons. So where it says Recycle Bin, I can only see 'le Bin' & half of the little trashcan image. Exact same with all the other shortcuts below that.

Then there is the taskbar. It is pulled right down, so that I can only see the the top half. Just like the shortcuts on the desktop, at the very left hand side, I can only see a millimeter or 2 of the Windows globe. I tried right clicking & dragging the taskbar back up but it didn't sort it out. I tried system restore to a few days ago but that didn't work. I tried uninstalling my codec pack. Again to no avail. Even tried resetting the ATI program on the computer to it's defaults with no luck.

Here is a screen shot so you can see what I'm talking about (the left hand side program should say FreshDiagn... but I only see around half of the thing. Then there is the taskbar, which I obviously won't need to describe:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4469/screenshotpd.jpg

I changed the screen resolution to 1776x1000 & it jumped back up to scale. Put it back to 1920x1080 & the problem is still there.

Does anybody know how to sort this out as it's driving me mad?

Many Thanks, James..
    Friday, June 25, 2010 1:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to confirm does this issue occur on the new games?

The possible cause can be the game resolution is too low to match the monitor display resolution. After quitting the game, the display card cannot reset the monitor display resolution correctly.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, the display card driver and the monitor driver for Windows 7 first.

If it does not work, you may also try to create a new user account to test the issue.

If the issue persists, you’d better run the games which can match the display resolution.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:07 AM

All replies

• You have posted this is the wrong part of the Forum.  This part is for Windows 7 Virtualization.

Have you rebooted the computer to see if the situation persists?

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm does this issue occur on the new games?

The possible cause can be the game resolution is too low to match the monitor display resolution. After quitting the game, the display card cannot reset the monitor display resolution correctly.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, the display card driver and the monitor driver for Windows 7 first.

If it does not work, you may also try to create a new user account to test the issue.

If the issue persists, you’d better run the games which can match the display resolution.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 2:07 AM