Adding an application server to farm that uses SQL alias RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

In our SP environment, we had a SQL database (SQL01) that was used to set up SharePoint.   After a year or so, that SQL database was migrated to a new server (SQL02).    I have been using a SQL alias (cliconfg.exe) to keep things working since (server alias sql01\sharepoint redirecting to sql02\sharepoint).

I am now in the process of setting up a new application server to join to the farm.   Will I need to set up the SQL aliases on the new server using the alias above or can I skip the alias altogether since I will be asked which database server and config database to connect to during SharePoint installation?

Monday, September 23, 2019 5:56 PM

Answers

• Yes You have to point the alias in the New SharePoint Server as well to add that Server to your existing SharePoint farm.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by XRS Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:37 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• Yes You have to point the alias in the New SharePoint Server as well to add that Server to your existing SharePoint farm.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by XRS Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:37 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2019 6:03 PM

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thanks Sharath!  I'll give it a try tomorrow and post the results.  

Monday, September 23, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with sharath, you have to set up the sql alias on the new server. All SharePoint Servers in your Farm have to setup sql alias:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/gabn/2014/04/14/configuring-sql-server-alias-with-sharepoint-server-2013/

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 6:23 AM