How to prevent xpand / collapse symbols from autohiding? RRS feed

• Question

• In the folder pane on the left in explorer, the expand/collapse triangles (or the "+" and "-" in standard theme) only appear when the mouse is over the folder pane. This means I can't at a glance see which folder had child folders without having to move the mouse over the pane. Also having them appear as a flash if I move the mouse across the pane is distracting, especially if the explorer window does not have the focus.

Is there a way I can make symbols be permanently visible?

Thx.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:22 PM

All replies

• Wow and this persists even in Windows 7 (64bit at least) after so long :)

I don't wanna hear it's by design, it can be changed :) now could someone come along and enlighten us?

what is you talking aboot?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Unforeunately no, this is a win 7 / vista issue.
    Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help.
    Monday, December 27, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Well, as I said, this can be changed, check out my C# code in this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/csharpgeneral/thread/086e63f0-d6e2-469d-8cde-af2ff86d4455

EDIT: was merged into this:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/658722b3-0568-4923-a736-7d2da5c7044f

the post containing the:

//All trees (treeview) that are not hidden or part of a minimized window

//are transformed into tree with lines and expand/collapse [+]/[-] buttons that won't fade out

that code when ran, it will change all trees of all applications that currently have trees, and these trees aren't hidden or in minimized windows, they will get changed to ie. windows XP Classic trees, similarly as what ClassicShell from sf.net does for explorer's navigation pane tree when set to Windows XP Classic, namely trees will have treelines and [+] / [-] expand/collapse buttons and these buttons won't fade out when not mouse over.

Now, I'm still looking for a way to do this for any newly created trees, via hooks/callbacks or some other way, this may take a while since I'm new to C# and windows concepts and I'm learning in the process...

Have a good day! ;)

EDIT: Oh btw, if this wasn't clear, for Explorer only, that tree on the left, which is callled Navigation Pane can be converted to normal tree with treelines and [+] / [-] expand/collapse buttons and they won't fade out, by just using ClassicShell from sf.net site, just have to set the Windows XP Classic on Explorer Options (not Start Menu options) after u've intalled it, there are more options such as, keep the triangles but don't fade them out, the option for this is in same Tab.

what is you talking aboot?
    • Edited by escirllel Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:38 PM link change due to merge
    Monday, December 27, 2010 8:54 AM