Deleting system files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had dualboot, and i remove one OS now i have only one OS.
    I cut files to folder windows.old and delte it, also msconfig and delete os from here also.

So when i show protected files i have many files on disk D like in disk C.
    On C i have windows, on D now nothing only data, can i remove these files from disk D? - 

1. $Recylce Bin
    2. Documents and setting
    3. Recovery
    4. System volume informations and many more.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi nexon,

Yes, you can remove these files from disk D, these files are left over from the deleted OS.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 7:37 AM
  • Hi Niko

I deleted files but Recycle bin and system volume information are created again (automatically)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi Nexon,

These files should have on each driver, it is by design.

LOOK HERE for details. From it :

=================
    The actual location of the Recycle Bin depends on the type of operating system and file system. On older FAT file systems (typically Windows 98 and prior), it is located in Drive:\RECYCLED. In the NTFS filesystem (Windows 2000, XP, NT) it is Drive:\RECYCLER. On Windows Vista and Windows 7 it is Drive:\$Recycle.Bin folder.

In general, we recommend hide these files via the following method:

In Windows Explorer's Folder Options dialog, along with ensuring Show hidden files, folders, and drives is selected,  ensure the Hide protected operating system files option is selected. as below:

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:38 AM
  • H, Niko,

These files using windows 7 right? I know i have as default these files hidden but i removed vista and i need to remove files from vista like pagefile, hibersfil and other which where created in 2006 year and i know that files are from vista and i can remove it.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:47 AM