locked
Search Server Error - Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I have a 5 server farm (DC, 2 WFEs, 1 SQL,1 CA w/ search) and am experiencing an issue when returning search results.  This issue just started occurring recently, and basically the search page throws a correlation id whenever used.  The error returned is:

    SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703FA): Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA)
    SearchServiceApplicationProxy::Execute--Error occured: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA) (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA)

    I even attempted to create an out of the box enterprise search site with OOB masterpages and I still am receiving this error.  

    I have also tried the  ‘Do not forcefully unload the registry at user logoff’ registry edit, but it did not work.

    Has anyone ran into this issue and has another solution other than the ‘Do not forcefully unload the registry at user logoff’ registry edit?


    Thanks!


    Friday, October 12, 2012 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies

    • Marked as answer by star.wars Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:42 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Had the same error, here's what I did to fix it:

    1. Stopped/Started the SecurityTokenService application pool in IIS on all servers in the farm

    2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service (in Central Admin, manage services on Server) on all the servers that host query activity

    That's what worked for me.

    • Proposed as answer by Martin_0 Monday, November 17, 2014 2:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Martin_0 Monday, November 17, 2014 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Martin_0 Monday, November 17, 2014 2:33 PM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Had the same error, here's what I did to fix it:

    1. Stopped/Started the SecurityTokenService application pool in IIS on all servers in the farm

    2. Stopped/Started the Search Query and Site Settings Service (in Central Admin, manage services on Server) on all the servers that host query activity

    That's what worked for me.

    That fixed it for me, too. Thanks!

    • Edited by Martin_0 Monday, November 17, 2014 2:33 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Golfarama Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:06 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Did not work for me.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 8:55 PM
  • Thanks

    1. Restarted Security Token Service application pool in IIS on All Web servers in the form

    2. Restarted Search host controller on Search related app servers(In Central admin,manage services on Server)

    Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:00 AM
  • This worked for me.
    Friday, February 9, 2018 12:35 AM