Add the SharePoint Version Number to a Word Document RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I will try to explain this as best as I can so forgive me if I fail!

When updating and saving a document in SharePoint the version number is changed automatically in the version history (1.0, 2.0, etc)

Is there any way to automatically add these version numbers from the version history "No." field to the document that is being edited automatically? 

I have created a template and would like to pull the version history from SharePoint so that it automatically populates in the document itself along the header (so it can be seen as the document is edited). E.g. fill in the "Version" field in the header as below with whatever version number is displayed in "Version history" on SharePoint.

I hope this makes sense?

Many thanks

Friday, August 31, 2018 11:38 AM

All replies

• Any ideas?
    Monday, September 3, 2018 7:16 AM
  • Hi John,

We can use Quick Parts in Word document to add the Version number in the Word. This requires to configure in both SharePoint and your Word document.

To configure document library in SharePoint:

1. Click on Settings > Document Library Settings
    2. Click on “Versioning settings” and make sure that you’re either having it “create major versions” or “create major and minor (draft) versions”.
    3. Click on “Information management policy settings” > Click on the content type you want to apply the policy > Check the “Enable Labels” box > Type {Version} into the “Label format” box > OK.

To configure your Word document:

1. Create a new document with the document template in the library and open it.
    2. Go to Insert > Quick Parts > Document Property > Label. > The version label “{_UIVersionString}” will show up in the document.
    3. Save the document (and choose what the next version should be).

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 3, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hi John,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 7, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Hi Grace, this no longer works there is no "Information management policy settings" tab, option, etc. Can you please update or let me know where to find it?

Cheers. Mitch

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:54 AM
  • Hi Mitch,

For 'Information management policy settings' to appear in the document library settings you must have 'Site Policy' active in 'Site Collection Features' in the 'Site Settings'.

Convoluted I know!!

Ollie

• Proposed as answer by mitch722 Monday, February 25, 2019 11:08 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Brilliant!  Thank you.
    Sunday, April 7, 2019 1:04 PM
  • Can this be done to existing Libraries with documents already in place?

I've followed the steps repeatedly, but I am unable to find Quick Parts > Document Properties > Label. 

Kind regards,

CI

Monday, April 15, 2019 7:36 PM
  • It's in Word (the application, rather than Word online). Insert Tab. Text Section. Quick Parts button. Document Properties menu item. Label menu selection.

Unfortunately, for me, it just inserts the text {_UIVersionString}.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 9:26 PM