none
Package KB3125574 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x80070020.

Question

• Hi,

We have computers that haven’t been updated in years… So the KB 3125574 is the perfect thing for us.

Patch level is somewhere around March 2013 +IE11

If Windows Update is ran, it as around 190 necessary updates to do.

I did install the pre-req KB first with success.

Then I tried to install KB3125574. It ran for quite a while as computer performance is pretty poor.

After the restart, I see that it failed to change the installed state. Status: 0x80070020. In the event viewer.

1<sup>st</sup> try was done using WUSA /quiet /norestart pushed using SCCM package.

2<sup>nd</sup> try was done by manual execution. Went faster for the install time, and initiated the reboot manually.

3<sup>rd</sup> try I ran it with the /log option.

It failed with all try

Log is loaded with garbage.

I managed to get this info from it. (sorry for painfull display)

A p p M o d u l e : : D e l e t e S a n d B o x . 0 0 2 9 6 :   D e l e t i n g   s a n d b o x   C : \ c 2 5 9 4 b 2 b d d 3 5 d c 7 9 0 8 5 a 5 4

š À   
      ð  y? ƒ    Œ`  ÚÁ

A¦þ¹YÏWV

@?   C                   I n s t a l l W o r k e r . 0 1 1 5 4 :   E n d   o f   i n s t a l l

ÿÿØ ÿœÀ   
      ð  ´? ƒ    Œ`  ÚÁ

A¦þ¹YÏWV

@?   C                   I n s t a l l W o r k e r . 0 1 1 9 4 :   O p e r a t i o n R e s u l t C o d e   o f   t h e   i n s t a l l a t i o n :   0 X 2             H R E S U L T   o f   t h e   i n s t a l l a t i o n :   0 X 0  O p e r a t i o n R e s u l t C o d e   o f   t h e   u p d a t e :   0 X 2           H R E S U L T   o f   t h e   u p d a t e :   0 X 0

¨Wÿø À   
      ð  Û? ƒ    Œ`  ÚÁ

A¦þ¹YÏWV

@?   C                   I n s t a l l W o r k e r . 0 1 2 3 3 :   R e b o o t   w a s   r e q u i r e d   f o r   u p d a t e   U p d a t e   f o r   W i n d o w s   ( K B 3 1 2 5 5 7 4 )

˜À   
      ð  é? ƒ    Œ`  ÚÁ

A¦þ¹YÏWV

€?   C                   U p d a t e   f o r   W i n d o w s   ( K B 3 1 2 5 5 7 4 )   w u s a     X 8 6 - a l l - w i n d o w s 6 . 1 - k b 3 1 2 5 5 7 4 - v 4 - x 8 6 _ b a 1 f f 5 5 3 7 3 1 2 5 6 1 7 9 5 c c 0 4 d b 0 b 0 2 f b b 0 a 7 4 b 2 c b d . m s u   / q u i e t   / n o r e s t a r t   / l o g : c : \ t e m p \ r o l l u p d a t e . l o g  

Could it have difficulty to apply certain patches /fix the first time it run?

What else could be the error?

Are we supposed to use this KB for manual/online install?

Thanks

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As I know, this issue can occur if a program is interfering with the automatic update process. For example, antivirus programs that use real-time scanning can interfere with the update process.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/883825

We can use command below to remote starting the computer in Safe mode with networking and try the update again:

with networking:

bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network

then reboot the machine with

shutdown /r

to put back in normal mode via dos:

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

For further troubleshooting, please post back the windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:11 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I tried the install without the antivirus, but no luck. Same error.

But you are most probably right about something interfering with the update process.

I've been able to install the update on another computer, with the same OS version/patch level.

Difference is that it as less applications/configurations on it.

Now the fun part, what is interfering with the process.

Here the WindowsUpdate.log

2016-05-19 12:10:14:011 1056 13a0 Handler Post-reboot status for package Package_for_KB3125574~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.4.4: 0x80070020.
    2016-05-19 12:10:14:011 1056 13a0 Handler WARNING: Got extended error: "POQ Operation HardLinkFile OperationData \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-font-truetype-arial_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.23403_none_751e152c24b3d06d\arial.ttf, \??\C:\WINDOWS\fonts\arial.ttf"
    2016-05-19 12:10:19:164 1056 13c4 Report REPORT EVENT: {B83A95FF-8AFE-40B1-A182-EB98E4997969} 2016-05-19 12:10:14:230-0400 1 182 101 {84DE21CC-CEC4-4204-AD7B-52D7B6D0B181} 501 80070020 wusa Failure Content Install Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070020: Update for Windows (KB3125574).

It seems to be related to arial.ttf

I've compared both computers adn the arial.ttf is actually 3 years older on the computer that fail to install the KB

I'll try to play around that file to see if it helps

thanks

Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:44 PM
  • Hi,

The update process, I mean to be installing and configure updates phase. This is the general description of this error message.

You could be right, try to replace the arial.ttf to see if it can work fine.

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:55 AM
    Owner

• Hi Johnathan,

Is there any update in your case??

We have not heard from you ina couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 2:06 AM
    Owner
  • Do you see, that computer attempts to rollback from this update? I have a problem in 10% of all computers, that they hangup on 13% for a long time and then perform fallback. This still is remaining unsolved, and I was thinking to get such computer on my hand, and try either sfc /scannow or DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Yet I don´t have such computer on my hands, so cannot test. If you test any of given commands, please post back how it hoes.

Monday, May 30, 2016 6:28 AM
  • That DISM command is no good, doesn´t fit in Dism Online.

Any news about this?

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Unfortunnatly, I'm not at my client site.

Last time I tried to get around the error about arial.ttf was no good...

I'll update when I have a chance to test this again.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:01 PM
  • I did some more testing and still I´n not able to install this update;

1. sfc /scannow -> restart -> install -> NO, will roll back
    2. delete content of
    c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution  -> restart -> install -> NO, will roll back

WindowsUpdate.log;

2016-05-31          19:40:57:568       360        d18         Report  REPORT EVENT: {76451C8C-EB36-4C0D-86B7-529C1A0EEEAE}                2016-05-31 19:40:52:561+0300    1              182         101         {49924C88-1B31-4B0F-AD3D-48DF9877F385}        208                800705b4             CcmExec              Failure  Content Install  Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800705b4: X64-j..rjestelmien Windows 7:n p..ivitys (KB3125574).

2016-05-31          19:37:03:195       364        fcc          Handler                FATAL: UH: 0x80080005: StartSession failed in CCbs::IsCbsPending

2016-05-31          19:37:03:226       364        fcc          Service *********

2016-05-31          19:37:03:226       364        fcc          Service **  END  **  Service: Service exit [Exit code = 0x240001]

Event Viewer:

Package KB3125574 failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x800705b4.

• Edited by yannara Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Hi Yannara,

It seems that you have not the same cause of failing to install this update.

You error message seems to be caused by 3rd party conflict, have you tried to install it manually by downloading the installer in Clean boot mode?

Would you mind to share your whole Windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive or similar network service and post the shared link here for our research?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:07 AM
    Owner
  • Unfortunnatly, I'm not at my client site.

Last time I tried to get around the error about arial.ttf was no good...

I'll update when I have a chance to test this again.

Ok, wait for your update.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 5:07 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Yannara,

It seems that you have not the same cause of failing to install this update.

You error message seems to be caused by 3rd party conflict, have you tried to install it manually by downloading the installer in Clean boot mode?

Would you mind to share your whole Windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive or similar network service and post the shared link here for our research?

Thank you for you help! I installed same KB manually and result is the same: 13%, few restarts and rolling back. Here you have windowsupdate.log: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=87193AA6C859DC4E!379036&authkey=!ADnDUtGpJobg7WM&ithint=file%2clog

This manual installation happend today between 10:22-10:58.

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:57 AM
  • Kate Li, any news about my logs?
    • Edited by yannara Monday, June 6, 2016 6:46 AM
    Monday, June 6, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response due to my sick leave.

I have noticed following errors related to this issue:

2016-06-01 09:43:36:621  360 1d1c Agent WARNING: failed to calculate prior restore point time with error 0x80070002; setting restore point

2016-06-01 09:55:12:367  360 1cf8 Agent WARNING: WU client fails CClientCallRecorder::RemoveService with error 0x80248014

2016-06-01 10:23:02:554  368 908 Agent WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installed rule, updateId = {B7E922E6-E444-4D3E-90AF-A6E717560EC3}.201, hr = 80080005
    2016-06-01 10:25:02:696  368 908 Agent WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installable rule, updateId = {B7E922E6-E444-4D3E-90AF-A6E717560EC3}.201, hr = 80080005

Please make sure your Volume shadow copy service is running fine and the date settings are right with your location.

You can try to reset CMOS at this point to check this issue.

For further troubleshooting, the CBS.log is useful for us also.

Monday, June 6, 2016 8:42 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

I've done more testing. I can confirm that the arial font is modified after a successful installation of the KB. (as per documentation and testing)

4 files in total : arial.ttf, arialbd.ttf, arialbi.ttf and ariali.ttf

The version of the files is december 16, 2015 : 9:07AM

I've narrowed the issue to computers with many specific applications compared to those who can successfully install the KB.

Biggest difference on the Microsoft side is that  SQL Express 2008 is installed  (with backward compatibility for SQL 2005. The computer that fail also have Microsoft Report Viewer 2008 SP1

As for the other softwares, it is some SAP components.

Arial.ttf can't be deleted as it's a System protected font

Maybe it could help to know which KB actually update the arial font. I could try to install or fix the computer for this prior to run the full rollup update?

Any other idea?

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Quick update, I've been able to "delete" arial.ttf... sort of.. From the C:\Windows\fonts, I was NOT able to delete it even after taking the ownership. I had to use a registry tweak  to make it go away.

But if I look with a command prompt, arial.ttf is still there :|

Can't delete the file because it's in use by SYSTEM.

I've found this KB. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/980248

Wondering if there one similar for Windows 7

Version of the arial.ttf is 5.10 if this can help...

Monday, June 13, 2016 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

It will take me sometime, will update you as soon as I have any results.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:14 AM
    Owner
  • Hi Kate,

Any update on what I could try to go around this issue?

Using this KB is key for us to update a lot of computers, instead of install 190+ single updates.

This KB can save us hours of installation.

Thanks

Jonathna

Monday, June 20, 2016 12:30 PM
  • From my experience, the kb3125574 does not cut off the requirement of installing other updates. My Win7 image is quite well updated before, and I have around 50 updates which are required on my fresh installed Win7 computer. While I started to testing kb3125574, I noticed, that those 50 updates are still required after this KB is installed. I was expected that I could throw lot of these 50 updates away but no, they are still required.
    Monday, June 20, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Thanks yannara.

I know we'll still have updates after that KB. but being 3+ years late on KB with low performance computer... it will still be a great step toward being up-to-date

I've tried the 190+ updates on those computer... it took close to 6 hours to install/reboot/complete ;)

Monday, June 20, 2016 4:15 PM
  • I think there is another route with more promise: "WSUS Offline Update" @ http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

"WSUS Offline Update" is an open-source project that uses the MS catalog.  Evidently after MS cuts off the ability to update, they leave files in the catalog on their server for some time.  I believe you can use this to install updates offline for as far back as Win 2000.  You can do similar for old versions of Office.  For whichever, you download the same little file and then make your selections on an interface (I wasn't allowed to post an image of of it).  If you run into problems they seem to have a pretty good forum, which you can review in advance.

I haven't tried it yet but am getting close.  Third win 7 64 clean install this week and this is getting tedious.  Also seems to be inconsistent.  This third one has been checking for updates 12 hours now and am running out of distractions and patience.  First two took 2-4 hours to check and several hours to install.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:13 AM
  • I fixed... Microsoft knows they have a problem and they fixed it, several times, sorta.  They have issued three updates to improve windows updates.  The catch is if you can't update and they are buried in a hundred or more updates you also can't install...well...and nobody took the effort to provide simple good advice.

Since the computer in question was doing worse than the first two, I began by reinstalling current drivers.  I ran the update troubleshooter at https:/support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/wir .  I believe it is more thorough than the Fixit.  IKt fixed a few registry errors and could not fix an error 0x8024402c.  Research = something (another program)  is preventing updating.  I think it was just my sense of humor that decided to turn off Windows Firewall and run the troubleshooter again--no more error code...figures!

Now you need to manually install the three following updates to improve update performance:

KB3102810 , KB3083710 , KB3135445

After downloading the appropriate file for your system, whnen you try to run one of these, iot may begin b y "searching your computer for updates"  (which isn't going to work).  I had to disable windows update (Never check updates or whatever the specific language is in Control Panel>Windows Update>...settings.Reboot.  Try again. The check for updates window will momentarily appear and go away and yiou can run the install manually.

One more thing I always do is run Steve Gibson's Never 10 before installing updates.https://www.grc.com/never10.htm.  That will prevent aqn accidental installs and stop the Win 10 nagware from installing (when i hide the ...5583 update manually--it will unhide itself.  Never10 kills it but if it does get on or some otgher user clicks update to Win 10 -- nadda.

I did not bother to see if all three updates are necessary (if any supercede either of the other two).  And i did them one-at-a-time rebooting any time asked to do so before proceeding--probably unnecessary.

Rebooted after checking everything one last time and re-enabled windows update (I use tell me if updates are avail and let me download).

Click check for updates.  Check took less than ONE MINUTE!

241 updates available, 238 selected, 7 optional.  I selected all 7 optional.  Downloaded 245 updates (1,188 MB) in 12 minutes.  Preparing to install lasted 1 minute.  Create restore point about 20 secs.  Installed all 245 updates with no problems in 51 minutes.  Reboot and configuring.  Windows update showed 3 available without needing to run check for.  Selected and installed two of these in about a minute.

Restart.  & mpre security updates ready.  These actually failed to install in the first big batch but only because they wanted to create a new restore point (We believe).  Then 19 more--mostly security updates that must be dependent upon the previous 7.  A few specific hardware updates.  Restart--check for updates-- 1 important available-- May 2016 ... Update.  ZVoila--double checked--UP TO DATE!

Through all this, Malwarebytes Premium trial and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit premium trial ran just fine without interfering.

We dealt with Win 7 Pro 64 SP1.

Scanned system, turned firewall back on, and shutdown computer, went to sleep.  New fiorewall tomorrow when start moving software from old workstation to this one.

Lessons:  There does not appear to be a MS conspiracy to sabotaghe Win 7 via update problems.  Just sloppy work.  Updates that probably work fine as systems progressed over the years but never considered starting fresh later.  AND, M0S NEVER BOTHERED TO ISSUE A TECH NOTE OR ANYTHING ADVISING PEOPLE THAT CERTAIN UPDATES NEEDED TO BE INSTALLED MANUALLY FOR A CLEAN INSTALL--IN ORDER TO FIX UPDATES!As for the original question about old messed up computers--You need to update bios and drivers anyway and certainly the bios (if necessary) and chipset and LAN (network adapters) in order to install updates (probably.)  Do that and run sfc/scannow in a command prompt withadministrator... and an old computer should update just fine and be of good use.

So in conclusion we did not need the roll up update or to use the "WSUS Offline Update".  Updates is and isn't messed up.  I would suggest it is better in the long run to fix what ever problems your computer has first and updates is a good test, now that we know the trick with updates.  We do plan to use the later to fix up an old XP netbook that we hope to use as an appliance (monitor energy usage, weather, interior environment or something.)

Good luck!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Thanks for your update and sharing.

I have also learned and please mark your solution to close this thread.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:45 AM
    Owner
  • Hi,

Just a quick one - we experienced the error 0x80070020 when attempting to install KB3125574 on one of our Server 2008 R2 computers. According to the CBS / CbsPersist logs under %SystemRoot%\Logs\CBS and %SystemRoot%\WinSxS\poqexec.log the file that was in use in our case was C:\Windows\fonts\StaticCache.dat

We found that rebooting the server twice for the failed install (i.e. install - reboots once - see failure result - reboot again), and then installing the separate Hotfix KB2756651 (which also includes StaticCache.dat), rebooting, and attempting KB3125574 again fixed the problem for us. (We were able to uninstall the separate KB2756651 hotfix afterwards without having to reinstall KB3125574).

This was after trying various other methods including disabling the virus scanner and using Safe Mode with Networking.

Seems like the physical size of the update may have been part of the problem - applying the individual hotfix for the relevant file allowed the rest of the update to go through.

You can request to download KB2756651 from Microsoft here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2756651

Friday, October 14, 2016 9:34 AM