Extend Volumn RRS feed

• Question

• In disk management when I right click in order to extend my c partition. Extend volumn option is inavtive.

Any idea about this my friends.

Regards

Ali

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:32 AM

All replies

• In disk management when I right click in order to extend my c partition. Extend volumn option is inavtive.

Any idea about this my friends.

Regards

Ali

In an Extend operation, you are only able to Extend a partition using contiguous, unallocated space that appears to its right in the Disk Management graphical layout, otherwise the option is greyed out. This is possibly the reason you cannot extend your partition.

However, by shunting the unallocated space from partition to partition, any standard partition can be extended.

Post back here your left to right graphical layout in DM.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Thanks

Yes there is black shaded space marked unallocated at the extrem right side in disk management graphical view now what to do with it pls advice.

Regards

Ali

Friday, July 2, 2010 11:05 AM
  • If the unallocated space is immediately to the right of (adjoining) drive C, you should be able to right-click C and choose Extend.

However, I have a feeling from your phraseology that it is not adjoining. If this is the case please list the names of all the partitions/space in the graphical layout and the associated ‘Status’ at the top of the DM window, e.g. Primary, System, Active, Boot, Page File and Crash Dump.

Friday, July 2, 2010 12:43 PM
  • List of drives. Windows 7 NTFS

1 : C 39.06 GB : System, Active, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition

2 : D 39.06 GB : Logical Drive

3 : E 32.66 GB : Logical Drive

4 : G 01 GB     : Logical Drive

5 :    09 MB : Unallocated

Basically I want to share my E drive with C becuase there is on 4 GB remaining.

Monday, July 5, 2010 9:46 AM
  • You can’t do that using the built-in Shrink/Extend as it’s not contiguous space, i.e. E is not adjoining C.

You will have to save any data you have on the logical drives, then delete them, then delete  the Extended partition that the logical drives are part of. You will then be able to Extend drive C by, say, 40GB and the remainder of the space can be formatted to form a new drive D.

There are free partition manager programs, but I’m not going to recommend one as I never use them.

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Thanks friend

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:12 AM
  • My pleasure.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 7:00 AM