Windows XP Pro Start-up Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want to appear long winded, but in order for someone out there to properly assist me with a resolution to my problem, I must state my Start up problem in a clear and precise manner.

Sometime ago I installed a WD 350G HD in my system and subdivided it into four (4) partitions. The first partition (C) is the "active" partition and contained my Windows XP Pro OS.

Several months ago the problem started. When I would boot up my system, the start up screen would immediately appear. Moments later the Windows logo screen would appear and run through its thing. Seconds later the bars across the bottom of the screen appeared and did its thing. This is where the problem started. The small horizonal flashing bar in the lefthand top of the screen kept flashing and flashing. Furthermore, the Windows logon screen never popped up. So, I would power down my system, waited ten minutes or so and re-booted. This time --after the BIOS start up screen and Windows logo screen--the Windows logon screen appeared. This process would  occur more times than I wish to recall. Then one day last week the Windows logon screen never appeared--even after waiting five, ten minutes.

Frustrated with this continual inconsistent boot up process, I decided to install reinstall Windows XP Pro on to another HD, use it as my Master, and use the original 350G HD as a Slave drive.

Well this new arrangement worked for a day or so. Then the same thing as before with the original HD started happening. I even attempted to restore the boot.ini files on the WD 350G HD with XP Pro System Restore but nothing happened when I re-booted using the original drive.

I then purchased a SATA 500G HD and a SATA RAID controller card thinking that I would install Windows XP Pro on to this SATA HD, then transfer all my important files from the original Western Digital drive to the SATA drive. No such luck.

My system recognizes the RAID Controller card because I also purchased a SATA DVDRW and installed it. This DVD-RW works great, but I cannot utilize the SATA HD. I even purchased a PCI/SATA to USB adapter thinking I could plug the SATA HD into the USB-2.0 port and transfer my OS and files to this drive. But I haven't had any luck with this procedure either.

When my OS boots, a blue screen momentarily appears and disappears in like manner. But if I recall, the message that popped up on the screen was related to a driver I installed from a SDS Audio Sandbox reinstallation. The message was as follows:

The message started out by saying that a problem occurred and had to shut down to protect the system. Then in the "Technical Information" body of this message read:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc000001D, 0xB3ad70f9, 0xF78D27E8, 0xF78D2454)

*** srs-sscfilter_i386.sys-Address B3AD70F9, Base at B3AB3000, Date Stamp-4b280f72

Beginning dump of physical memory, Dumping physical memory to disk:

Can someone with just a bit more knowledge about Windows XP Pro please provide a solution to my dilemma?

Thanks,

Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:46 AM

All replies

• This particular TechNet Forum is designed to assist Windows XP users with the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.

If your issue is not related to installation issues with SP3, please post your question in the more appropriate Microsoft Answers Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Carey Frisch
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Can you boot up your computer into Safe Mode?
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Hi BigTeddy;

Yes, I can boot my system in SAFE MODE only. I tried to boot up in SAFE MODE with Networking and SAFE MODE with Command Prompt. But once the drivers loaded are displayed, the system locks up.

On some occasions I can even get to the Windows Logo screen. But once again, as the bars move across the screen, shortly after this locks up as well.

Anthony Kidd
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:31 PM
  • BigTeddy,

One other thing. This problem started when I attempted to reload a SRS Audio Sandbox software from a website provided by SRS Labs, Inc. After installing the software, the system said it had to Re-boot to complete the install.  Yet when the system booted, a STOP ERROR message popped up stating that a it was shutting down my system to protect it from suspected problems. The following Technical Information was also listed:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC000001D, 0xB3AD70F9, 0xF78D27E8, 0xF8D24E4)

***srs-sscfilter_i386.sys-Address B3AD70F9 Base at B3AB3000  Date Stamp - 4b280f72

Beginning dump of physical memory

Dumping physical memory to disk:

Have any suggestions?

Anthony Kidd
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:40 PM
  • I suggest you boot into Safe Mode, and un-install the SRS driver.  How you do this depends on the application.  But you may be able to roll back the Audio driver from Device Manager in Safe Mode.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Carey, with all due respect, I must point out the description of this forum, as it appears on the Forums page of the Technet website:

"Use this forum for all issues related to Windows XP SP3" (my emphasis).

If this is for SP3 installation issues only, it should say:

"Use this forum for all issues related to the installation of Windows XP SP3 (just the service pack, not the whole O/S)"

Saturday, August 6, 2011 6:56 PM