none
System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager features RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking at Data Protection Manager to protect some virtua environments. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find a direct answer to.

First question is does DPM 2012 have built-in data deduplication and how well does it work?

Second question and I'm fairy certain I know the answer to it but still, since Virtual Machine Manager can manage VMWare hosts/vms can I use Data Protection Manager to backup and protect those vmware virtual machines?

Third question is does DPM 2012 allow for single mailbox/single item recovery for Exchange 2010 or do I need to recover the entire database to pull data out.

Vincent Sprague

Friday, August 3, 2012 4:18 PM

Answers

• 1. As a program DPM does not have deduplication but at the same time DPM team developed the program to be compatible two dedup hardware providers.

BitWackr and BridgeStor.

2. DPM does not provide the same level of protection to the Vmware as it does for Hyper-V.

There is a nice article been wrote by Mike at Belgium System Center group which i found interesting.

http://www.scdpmonline.org/protect-vmware-virtual-machines-using-dpm-2010-or-dpm-2007.aspx

3. DPM support disaster recovery for Exchange which means it gives you the opportunity to recover the whole database. You can restore a mailbox through restoring the DB to a recovery group or to a network drive and extract user mailbox through

Hope the above answered your questions

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post if it helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Laith_IT Friday, August 3, 2012 9:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Baron164 Monday, August 6, 2012 1:28 PM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 9:06 PM