none
DPM 2012 - BMR backup contains large data volume RRS feed

• Question

• I started deploying DPM 2012 a few weeks ago (previously used WSB or ntbackup on each server). One of my largest file servers has a 1.5TB volume with a 50GB system partition (C:) and the rest as a data partition (D:). In DPM I have the C: and D: volumes selected for backup, and also have the system state and BMR selected. The volumes synchronize fine, and if I take BMR out of the PG the System State syncs as well. As soon as I add BMR to the PG, I get "Replica is inconsistent" errors on the System Protection members. I've read this is because of the small capacity that DPM allocates to the BMR replica by default, and I believe this to be the case. It seems it is including both the C: and D: volumes in the BMR.

If both C: and D: are included in my BMR, then can I just not select those volumes to backup individually and let the BMR cover it? If I did this, would I still be able to do individual file level restores from the recovery points?

I realize D: may be included in the BMR because of a system role being installed to D: (I do know that the NTDS logs [this server is a DC] are stored on D:, might be able to move them). If I'm unable to move things around to get the BMR to contain just C:, I need some advice on how to proceed to be able to protect both the data volumes and BMR. My DPM server has all its hotswap bays full, so expanding that array would be costly. Can I just attach a 2TB eSATA disk for storing the BMR for this server? I want to be able to write a copy of all the DPM replicas to an LTO-5 tape once a week after everything is working, would I still be able to do this if I backup volumes in one PG and BMRs in another?

Sorry for all the questions I packed into this post, I've read reams of information on DPM and there's still some dots I'm having trouble connecting. I'm still not 100% if I should be protecting shares, or if they're covered as long as I'm protecting the volumes the shares are on. Same goes for BMR and the volumes that BMR apparently contains. Any help would be much appreciated, I really don't like my backup situation being this uncertain. Thanks

Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:50 PM

Answers

• 1) not backup C: and D: and just do Bare Metal

a view points on that a) if you have to restore just one file from DPM with just the BareMetal backup available a direct restore of just this one file will not be possible. You will have to restore the entire BMR first to some network share and then extract the file you require - so that might be a slow process.

b) if you want to go with this approach make sure that the entire D volume is truly covered. As you already mentioned D: is only included if there is some "critical system folders" there but this doesn't mean everything is included. I have one environment where D is included but several shares mounted there are not (they are several TB in size so I would know if they would have been included into BareMetal because of the large size).

So if you want include everything on D follow the advice on this link: http://scdpm.blogspot.de/2011/11/bare-metal-recovery-bmr-option-in-dpm.html

2) Storing BMR on specific disk (your 2 TB eSATA drive). Yes this is possible and it would still be possible to have your BMR backed up with tape. What you have to do is mount the drive on the DPM server but NOT add it to the storage pool. Next you have to create a new protection group. You have to configure the disk allocation and this is not possible from an existing protection group as you are only able to shrink or grow a volume but not change anything else. So stop protection of BMR in your exisitng PG and create a new one. On the window "disk allocation" go to "Modify" and instead of "StoragePool" choose "Custom volume". Now you can choose your eSATA drive. BE VERY CAREFUL - you have to allocate the RIGHT disk size for your Replica and Recovery Points here. The autogrow functionality only works for "StoragePool". So you have to monitore the custome volume to ensure that there is enough space allocated for your Replica and Recovery Points. But this is the only way I know of for you to be able to say that your BMR should be stored on a specific drive.

3) some general questions:

why are you saving C: in addition to BareMetal and System State? Did you ever have the need to restore something from C? Is there ever going to be a chance of this requirement? In my case I never had to restore something from C: Most of the time the OS itself was corrupted and I had to do a SystemState or BMR restore. So I always ask if this is a real requirement. In worst case I still have my SystemState/BareMetal. So I have to possibility to restore single files.

If you must backup C: ensure that some folders are excluded and not waste space on them - like recycle bin, temp folders, maybe users and documents...

I hope that answers some quesitons.

• Marked as answer by av_tiuk Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:19 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 8:14 AM

All replies

a view points on that a) if you have to restore just one file from DPM with just the BareMetal backup available a direct restore of just this one file will not be possible. You will have to restore the entire BMR first to some network share and then extract the file you require - so that might be a slow process.

b) if you want to go with this approach make sure that the entire D volume is truly covered. As you already mentioned D: is only included if there is some "critical system folders" there but this doesn't mean everything is included. I have one environment where D is included but several shares mounted there are not (they are several TB in size so I would know if they would have been included into BareMetal because of the large size).

So if you want include everything on D follow the advice on this link: http://scdpm.blogspot.de/2011/11/bare-metal-recovery-bmr-option-in-dpm.html

2) Storing BMR on specific disk (your 2 TB eSATA drive). Yes this is possible and it would still be possible to have your BMR backed up with tape. What you have to do is mount the drive on the DPM server but NOT add it to the storage pool. Next you have to create a new protection group. You have to configure the disk allocation and this is not possible from an existing protection group as you are only able to shrink or grow a volume but not change anything else. So stop protection of BMR in your exisitng PG and create a new one. On the window "disk allocation" go to "Modify" and instead of "StoragePool" choose "Custom volume". Now you can choose your eSATA drive. BE VERY CAREFUL - you have to allocate the RIGHT disk size for your Replica and Recovery Points here. The autogrow functionality only works for "StoragePool". So you have to monitore the custome volume to ensure that there is enough space allocated for your Replica and Recovery Points. But this is the only way I know of for you to be able to say that your BMR should be stored on a specific drive.

why are you saving C: in addition to BareMetal and System State? Did you ever have the need to restore something from C? Is there ever going to be a chance of this requirement? In my case I never had to restore something from C: Most of the time the OS itself was corrupted and I had to do a SystemState or BMR restore. So I always ask if this is a real requirement. In worst case I still have my SystemState/BareMetal. So I have to possibility to restore single files.

If you must backup C: ensure that some folders are excluded and not waste space on them - like recycle bin, temp folders, maybe users and documents...

• Marked as answer by av_tiuk Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:19 AM
    Friday, April 20, 2012 8:14 AM

Thank you for your reply (apologies - just saw it now). My line of thinking about the NTDS logs being on the D: volume turned out to be right. I changed the log location (which can be done by stopping the directory service, older guides online say you have to boot into Directory Service Restore Mode but this went out with 2008). After doing that, system state backups only contain C:. This solved the issues I was having. I'm having other issues with disk space, but maybe if I get rid of the redundant C: volumes that will go away. I never need to do file level restores of C:, so you are correct in saying it can be removed. Thanks for the tips!
    Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:21 AM