none
Remove Wsus from Sbs2011 server

Question

• Hey i need help about removing wsus from my server (Sbs2011)

It is fine to just remove the wsus role?

or i need to manually remove the wsus from the server?

what is the best way to do it?

• Edited by zaeyal Sunday, May 04, 2014 6:15 AM
    Sunday, May 04, 2014 6:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• I would suggest to disable WSUS.

Without WSUS, SBS Console will give you some problems.

To disable WSUS:-

1- Detach the WSUS database SUSDB from SQL (SQL Studio Manager) 

2- Disable the WSUS Administration Web Site in IIS

3- Disable the Update Services

Regards,

Mahesh Ramola

Sunday, May 04, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Hi zaeyal,

Would you please let us know why you want to uninstall WSUS on SBS 2011? I guess that there are some troubles in WSUS. If so, you can refer to the following article and repair WSUS on SBS 2011.

Repair Windows Server Update Services

If uninstall WSUS, it will remove suscomp.dll from the SBS server. And will impact the IIS web sites. For more details, please refer to the following article.

So you use another patching tool and don't want WSUS on your SBS 2011?

If you insistently want to uninstall, as Mahesh Ramola suggested, disabling WSUS on SBS server will be a better option.

If any update, please feel free to let us know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 8:28 AM

• So you use another patching tool and don't want WSUS on your SBS 2011?

Hmm, didn't read this one - I just uninstalled WSUS on SBS 2011 some time ago. No problems encountered?

Simon

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:41 AM
  • You may see some issues in SBS Console like at the home page the Updates tab will say Error in red or it may keep revolving all the time. Event though it wont hurt but I have come across many cases in which clients wanted that to be fixed.

Regards,

Mahesh Ramola

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 10:46 AM
  • I would like to remove WSUS from my SBS2011. I do no have the space and would prefer to get all updates on each PC as there are available for all computers across the domain. If I follow your instructions to disable WSUS are there any other things needed so all of the domain computers will get updates directly from Microsoft Update?

WSUS never seamed to work correctly and there always seams to be missing important updates. Please help.

Richard Richter

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Hello!

Please start a new thread.  Not many will view an add on to an old thread and you will get better help in a new thread.  You can refer back to older ones if you wish.

I suggest you pose the question as:  How can I fix WSUS and free up space and let us know if you have already used the move data wizards in the SBS console to move off the system drive, and exactly what the problems are.  Getting updates as they are released with no management or approval has proven to cause problems and I suggest you consider fixing WSUS and using it to manage updates rather than having them applied as released.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, December 21, 2015 12:23 PM
  • I forgot to mention the group policies. Please disable WSUS group Policies as well.

To disable WSUS:-

1- Detach the WSUS database SUSDB from SQL (SQL Studio Manager) 

2- Disable the WSUS Administration Web Site in IIS

3- Disable WSUS Group Policies from GPMC

4- Disable the Update Services

5- Gpupdate /force

Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:18 AM