W7 Enterprise 64-Bit hangs when trying to unlock system. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out with this odd problem.

We recently started deploying Acer TravelMate 8572G 15" laptops with Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit on them.  Everything was going well then we had this one system that kept coming back for hanging problems whenever our user went to log back into the system.

We tried reimaging it, rebuilt it from scratch, removed video drivers, upgraded video drivers, stopped using the port replicator, turned off sleep mode, didn't install legacy software, etc. trying to figure out what was causing the issue.  We even replicated the issue on a different laptop albeit the same model, which made us think it might be legacy software.  We gave up and migrated our user over to a Lenovo instead.

Just as we did that however, now we are getting other TM-8572G laptops coming up with the same symptoms as our initial user and we can't seem to figure it out and thought perhaps others were having the problem or maybe it was a Windows update that was released causing havoc with those systems.

Here are the specs of the systems:

Acer TravelMate 8572G-6734
    Intel Dual Core I5-520M 2.4GHz CPU
    4GB RAM
    Dedicated/Discreet nVidia GeForce GT 330M 1GB

Any help is appreciated.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hello Juke,

The BIOS was upgraded during our troubleshooting steps as well as all other drivers from the Acer website.  I had tried Clean Boot which continued to fail.  Contacting the manufacturer yielded no help and no response from them after it was escalated to management and engineering.

The issue seems to be prevalent on several different systems of make and model, not simply the Acer systems.  There was mention that MS had released a new patch directly targetted to this problem, but I have been unable to find it.

The issue was finally discovered yesterday.  We routinely have a HDD password on our laptops in the event of theft.  It seems that this password was causing issue when bringing the system out of sleep mode.  Removal of the password and/or only allowing a hybrid sleep mode appears to have resolved the issue.

Suggestions from Microsoft including the power options troubleshooter were of no help considering the instructions were to return everything to defaults.

• Marked as answer by CorelCorp Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I suggest to upgrade your BIOS to latest version.

You may also try Clean Boot to see if the issue still happen.

If it didn’t, please follow the article to determine what cause your issue,

If the issue persists, this issue is most likely because of the incompatible device. I suggest to contact the manufacture for better help.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:46 AM
  • Hello Juke,

The BIOS was upgraded during our troubleshooting steps as well as all other drivers from the Acer website.  I had tried Clean Boot which continued to fail.  Contacting the manufacturer yielded no help and no response from them after it was escalated to management and engineering.

The issue seems to be prevalent on several different systems of make and model, not simply the Acer systems.  There was mention that MS had released a new patch directly targetted to this problem, but I have been unable to find it.

The issue was finally discovered yesterday.  We routinely have a HDD password on our laptops in the event of theft.  It seems that this password was causing issue when bringing the system out of sleep mode.  Removal of the password and/or only allowing a hybrid sleep mode appears to have resolved the issue.

Suggestions from Microsoft including the power options troubleshooter were of no help considering the instructions were to return everything to defaults.

• Marked as answer by CorelCorp Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear you fixed this issue.

Thanks for sharing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:38 AM