Email not sent and disappears from Outbox - not copied to Sent Items - Outlook various versions RRS feed

• Question

• I've asked in the Email Problem forum - but this seems more appropriate place.

At wits end. Tried Outlook XP, 2003, 2007, 2010. Symptoms are emails disappear from the Outbox but not copied to Sent Items. Common thing is the SMTP server. My client composes 70-100 emails off line. Goes online and then does a send/receive. SMTP gives an error - and the emails disappear from the Outbox never to be seen again. There may or maynot be a message in the status/details window - I'm not there when it happens.

AV is Security Essentials, also had AVG, Mcafee, Symantec. No filters, no rules.

What I do know is that for some reason (spam detected, max sessions in SMTP, other compliance) the SMTP server rejects the Outlook session. The emails are discarded by the server, and Outlook does something internal that means the emails get deleted from the Outbox and go nowhere to be found. We don't know what the emails are because they are no longer there.

Mailbox is POP, SMTP, server Mercury32 on Server2003. Ive swapped hardware, software, Office, laptop. But the client still gets the problem. Common thing is that SMTP rejects the entire session. It doesn't happen every time he goes online. Recent failure was I put a SPAM filter in the port 25, it had a MAX_EMAILS_PER_SESSION set to 10, and he lost a days work. Kept sending emails, but not checked the Sent Items folder (who does that? If Outbox count goes to zero - they're sent off surely)

Crazy thing. Everything works fine for 30 other users who run Outlook Express/Outlook. The difference is that this one guy generates 70-100 emails and Outlook tries to send them all inside one SMTP session. Its like the difference between Outlook Express and old versions of Outlook when downloading POP3. You traced it? OE downloads one message, then deletes it. Outlook Downloads all, then deletes them at the end. If the POP session disconnects then the Outlook client used to download them all again. And again. And again.

What I would like to know is - if there is an UNDOCUMENTED SETTING that makes Outlook send one email at a time in a single SMTP session. Any real MS Outlook Gurus out there who can help?

Thanks - I have a little hair left and would appreciate keeping the rest ;-)

Steve

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would contact the support of the mail system:

http://www.pmail.com/support.htm

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, December 10, 2010 3:00 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 3:18 AM