Windows 7 and HP 6500 all-in-one prnter RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried to set up my office jet 6500 with my new HP computer that has Windows 7 installed. I was able to get it to print but I can't scan documents. Can anyone tell me what I should do?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Mdroddy,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

If the above method does not work on the issue, try downloading the installing the device driver from the official webpage.

Windows 7 32-bit OS

Windows 7 64-bit OS

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hello Mdroddy,

First you might go to Device Manager, right click your hardware device in the list and select Update Driver Software; then click Search automatically for updated driver software or directly download the latest driver from Microsoft Update Catalog.

If the above method does not work on the issue, try downloading the installing the device driver from the official webpage.

Windows 7 32-bit OS

Windows 7 64-bit OS

For more details, please look at the first Sticky thread at the top of this forum.

What can I do if my hardware does not work?

This will give you some guidelines.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:17 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:56 AM
  • I had the same exact problem! I spent an hour on the phone with HP and they said that it was Windows 7 and managed to get a work around. It's unfortunate :(

Hopefully they will come out with a fix soon...
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:43 AM
  • HP Officejet 6500

You need this link to HP's web site.

Select the relative package for Windows7 x 32 or Windows7 x 64

and download, install etc

Hope this helps,

Pat

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Same problem here.  HP support put a work around (short cut) on my desk top but front panel still could not scan.  I hope you believe me when I state that over the past week I made seven calls, 3 to India and 4 to the Philippines, and have received more than 22 hours of support!  I got to level two support twice, loaded and reloaded software more time than I can remember and it ended by them stating it was the Windows software or Toshiba (not in my back yard).  They lastly offered a call back sometime in the next five days from a level 3 tech but thought they would most likely find the same results.  During the 22 hours they also damaged one of my programs which I now can not uninstall and I now receive tray app windows opening all the time.  I guess since the support is free I almost got my moneies worth, wish my time was free :-(

Best Buy has offered to load the software and insure the software and printer panel is working properly for $49 and if printer and software does not operate as designed there would be no charge.  Humm $49 repair on a new printer that cost $110 doesn't seem quite fair.  A tech friend of mine has suggested that I exchange the computer and software to reduce the possibilities of problems in what I have received but from all the replys and complaints I have seen on the internet I think one can conclude this printer or software is not ready for the market place and users should stay far far away, just an opinion, but I got 22 hours of HP's opinions over the past week and I have more problems now that when I started the process.

On a somewhat positive note, those tech support individuals sure are polite and they repete back only what they have been trained to say and how to say it.  "I will try my very best" and "I am confident that we will satisfy all your issues during this call", well it sounded nice during the first 5 hours of support.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:54 AM
  • I had a similar problem with Windows7 and scanning a document from the printer to the computer (Sonyvaio).  The screen came up with an OS error and refused to reboot.  Had to send the computer off which Sony fixed but too much of a coincidence that it locked up when I hit the scan button.  HP helpfully told me that I had an old printer so it was not completely reasonable for it to work with W7 (I bought the printer 4 months ago).  Then they told me when I challenged them that it was a probbaly a bug in windows 7 operating system and it was up to Microsoft to fix it.!!

I didn't mind who provides the fix but the one thing I am sure of (though you wouldn't have known talking to HP (or Sony initially but who were very helpful eventually) is that it was not a problem that I created.

Monday, May 31, 2010 7:44 PM