Trying to find a version of Windows xp sp1? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently reformated my harddrive on my older computer.  I am looking for a windows xp sp1 for my computer.  Apparantly my boot discs have an earlier version of windows xp.  I'm unable to upgrade to windows xp sp3 because it continues to ask for a version of atleast sp1 which I'm unable to find since Microsoft no longer supports this.  Does Microsoft have sp1 archived somewhere?

Thanks,

Terry Schneider

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 12:50 AM

Answers

• See info @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

There are links for an SP1a Express and SP2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Luigi BrunoMVP Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by terry20 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hello Terry,

I've searched all over Microsoft Download Center now, to find if there are any older versions available for you to download officially.

Unfortunately, There is now way you can download it officially from Microsoft site, As Windows 7 has taken over everywhere and hardware capabilities are also increased accordingly, They might now be willing to activate any new Windows XP SP1 PCs.

You will find lot of small updates for XP SP1 to SP 3 on download center but you can hardly get full version that you can install.

Try to find if any of local retailer is selling older copies.

Can you tell me your old PC configuration ?

Blogger | Internet Marketer | Web Geek
    • Edited by Amol Wagh Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:17 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:16 AM
  • See info @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

There are links for an SP1a Express and SP2.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Proposed as answer by Luigi BrunoMVP Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by terry20 Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:03 PM
  • Rick,

Thanks for your help; SP2 worked great, I am now upgrading to SP3.  I first tried SP1a and came up the same errors as other SP1a downloads, so I decided to try SP2 and it worked.

Thanks again,

Terry

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:20 AM
  • The XP SP1a attempts to download during the installation process but errors with "the server does not respond".
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:24 PM
  • The XP SP1a attempts to download during the installation process but errors with "the server does not respond".

Just download SP2 and forget about SP1a.  No one here can fix the server.  The SP1a Express may not really be available anymore.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:05 PM