none
Combatibility issues with Project 2013 and Project 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• A co-worker and I are using SharePoint to collaborate on a Microsoft Project document. For the last six months, we both were using Microsoft Project 2010 and have been making updates to this document with no issues. However, my co-worker recently got a new laptop and is now using Microsoft Project 2013. This co-worker made a couple of changes and checked in a new version (v203) of the project plan into SharePoint. When I open version 203 (using Project 2010), I do not see the updates that he made. When he opens up version 203, he does see his updates. Similarly, I had made changes to the project plan in version 202 and when my coworker opens version 202 (or 203) he does not see my changes.

Has anyone else seen this type of compatibility issue? My brief research shows that Microsoft Project 2010 and 2013 should be fully compatible.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:18 PM

All replies

• Chuck,

I am assuming you are just saving and opening the MPP in SharePoint just like any other document (as opposed to syncing to a task list).

If this is correct, then please try this. Navigate to File >> Options and check the options below, and then test the updates.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:58 PM
  • Prasanna,

Correct, we are just saving and opening the .MPP file.

Using my Microsoft Project 2010, I selected the "Allow loading files with legacy or non-default file formats" option and then opened version 203 of the project plan that is saved on SharePoint. I still am not seeing the updates that my co-worker had made. Did I need to take any additional actions?

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:48 PM
  • The other thing to make sure you do whenever sharing files between different versions in any software is to make sure that both versions are fully updated and kept fully updated.

This is important.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:00 PM