none
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups

Question

• one of my internal user has sent an attachment to other internal user.
    the user says that he sent only 5MB attachment and it has failed.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
    myuser@mydomain.com
    Your message is larger than the size limit for messages. Please make it smaller and try sending it again.

how do i trace how much size did the user sent to other user.
    how do i know what is the maximum attachment size user can send and receive.
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 5:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Risingflight,

We suggest you to do those test to find out which reason causes this issue:
    1. Use a on premise mailbox send same mail to a on premise user

2. Use other on premise mailboxes send same mail to this online mailbox.

3. Use this online mailbox send same mail to other online mailboxes.

4. Confirm the size of this email again, not attachment. (In Outlook, choose off for Reading Pane, then we can see the size of this mail)

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:19 AM

All replies

• With the below command i did check for both the users its 25 MB 

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-mailbox myuser@mydomain.com |ft Name, Maxsendsize, maxreceivesize

Name                                    MaxSendSize                             MaxReceiveSize
    ----                                    -----------                             --------------
    My User                                    25 MB                                        25 MB 

experts plz guide me, do i also need to check at send connector or receive connector

Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Hi experts plz guide me
    Friday, May 4, 2018 5:41 AM
  • Where is the NDR generated from? your server or the recipient's server?

if it's from your server, then check the transport config or the send connector. 

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:00 AM
  • both are internal users, one on premise user is sending mail to exchange online.

get-transportconfig | ft maxsendsize, maxreceivesize
    MaxSendSize                                                 MaxReceiveSize
    -----------                                                 --------------
    30 MB                                30 MB  

get-receiveconnector | ft name, maxmessagesize
    Name                                                        MaxMessageSize
    ----                                                        --------------
    MyConnector                                                        10 MB

Get-SendConnector | ft name, MaxMessageSize
    Name                                                        MaxMessageSize
    --------                                                       --------------
    myconnector                                                   10 MB 

get-transportconfig | ft maxsendsize, maxreceivesize, externaldsnmaxmessageattachsize, internaldsnmaxmessagesize

MaxSendSize                   MaxReceiveSize                ExternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSi internaldsnmaxmessagesizeze

-----------                   --------------                ----------------------------- -------------------------
    30 MB      30 MB                                  10 MB

get-transportconfig | ft maxsendsize, maxreceivesize, externaldsnmaxmessageattachsize, internaldsnmaxmessageattachsize

MaxSendSize                   MaxReceiveSize                ExternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSize InternalDsnMaxMessageAttachSize

-----------                   --------------                ----------------------------- -----------------------------
    30 MB        30 MB                          10 MB                           10 MB 

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:28 AM
  • the user says his attachment is 5mb

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-mailbox myuser@mydomain.com |ft Name, Maxsendsize, maxreceivesize

Name                                    MaxSendSize                             MaxReceiveSize
    ----                                    -----------                             --------------
    My User                                    30 MB                                        30 MB 

Friday, May 4, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

To narrow down this issue, we have some things to confirm with you:
    1. Whether this user can send same mail to a on premise user?
    2. Whether other users can send same mail to this online user?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 4, 2018 10:29 AM
  • online user has sent attachment to on premises user for which delivery has failed. the other way i did not check. 

they are colleagues working in same dept and email flow is common, i am not sure about the attachment they exchanged earlier or not and there is no  restriction that online user cannot send or on premises can send.

Friday, May 4, 2018 11:23 AM
  • Can you verify if it's 5MB? What happen if the other user send an attachment to the problem user that is bigger than 5MB?
    Monday, May 7, 2018 7:06 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

We suggest you to do those test to find out which reason causes this issue:
    1. Use a on premise mailbox send same mail to a on premise user

2. Use other on premise mailboxes send same mail to this online mailbox.

3. Use this online mailbox send same mail to other online mailboxes.

4. Confirm the size of this email again, not attachment. (In Outlook, choose off for Reading Pane, then we can see the size of this mail)

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Tuesday, May 8, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

Any update now?
    If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Friday, May 25, 2018 1:48 AM