none
Stopping certain removable devices and allowing others

Question

• Hello everyone,

I am attempting to disable some USB devices, such as flash drives and cell phones, while still allowing other USB devices such as scanners.  How do I accomplish this using Group Policy?  Are there any how to videos someone can point me to?

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting here.
    If you want allow certain usb connected to the computer and deny other usb, you might try as following: 

1.    First, you can go to “Device Manager” to find out your USB key Hardware ID.
    2.    Enter USB key Hardware ID into the Group Policy Setting Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –>Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions -> “Allow installation of devices that match any of these device IDs”
    3.    Within this policy you will want to set it Enable, and then click on the “Show” button to enter your USB key hardware ID.
    4.    The other related policy is the Group Policy Setting Computer Configuration –> Administrative Templates –> System –>Device Installation –> Device Installation Restrictions -> “Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings”, set it Enable.

Also you can check the below link for more reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731387%28WS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it helps.
    Best Regards,
    Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 8:28 AM