insider preview update bricked my phone (reboot loop) RRS feed

• Question

• help, how do I roll back and not lose all my data

http://3ice.hu/

Friday, September 16, 2016 9:47 PM

Answers

• Fine. I went ahead and sacrificed all my data. I don't understand why an OS replacement still has to delete the poor user's pictures and documents in 2016. It's not 1985 anymore. Today even app data should be saved! I know how to do it, why don't you?

Rolled back device using WDRT, but apparently it can only get windows 8.0 .What?

Fine. Did the reflash. Mourned my lost data, documents, and saved games.

Grabbed windows insider app, it refused to enable preview builds. (Because: Your phone is already preparing an update - duck!)

Updated to 8.1 cyan, migrated 300 apps, took three hours.

Tried to become an insider again, failed again. Update already in progress.

Updated to 8.1 denim (why are the version numbers not different?)

Migrated 300 apps again, took three hours again. Half my apps are missing

Time to get windows 10! Insider enabled, phone rebooted for the umpteenth time (I lost count actually.) For a third time I migrated 300 apps, took three more hours. That's a full day, babysitting my device. Why can't I restore my backup manually?

And why were my settings not backed up? Battery saver, quiet hours, cortana even forgot my name, back button shouldn't ducking vibrate, rotation lock should be on at all times, NFC should be off, no tap to pay, My phone forgot Hundreds of wifi passwords (strangely enough, it remembers most of the open hotspots I've used and a grand total of TWO secured ones. Out of about a hundred...) the phone forgot custom settings for all 300 of my notification providers, detailed and quick status on the lock screen was reset, never require sign in, but have a PIN, but no PIN for my organization, apps corner was reset, 24-hour clock, had to add all my languages, regional format, united kingdom keyboard removed, recognize non-native accents, magnifier had to be re-enabled, get insider builds, dolby audio leveling, dialog enhancer on, but no stupid flip to silence, brightness and color profile, motion data was disabled for some stupid reason, nokia account (why is that even a thing?) was forgotten, three more reboots...

Also Insider still takes two days before it will show me the latest build, apparently. Is there going to be a 4th update? Duck! Two days then.

How you expect unfortunate duckers to get back to their latest build quickly after a brick is beyond me.

• Edited by 3ICE Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:30 PM batter -> battery
    • Marked as answer by 3ICE Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:52 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:27 PM

All replies

• Fine. I went ahead and sacrificed all my data. I don't understand why an OS replacement still has to delete the poor user's pictures and documents in 2016. It's not 1985 anymore. Today even app data should be saved! I know how to do it, why don't you?

Rolled back device using WDRT, but apparently it can only get windows 8.0 .What?

Fine. Did the reflash. Mourned my lost data, documents, and saved games.

Grabbed windows insider app, it refused to enable preview builds. (Because: Your phone is already preparing an update - duck!)

Updated to 8.1 cyan, migrated 300 apps, took three hours.

Tried to become an insider again, failed again. Update already in progress.

Updated to 8.1 denim (why are the version numbers not different?)

Migrated 300 apps again, took three hours again. Half my apps are missing

Time to get windows 10! Insider enabled, phone rebooted for the umpteenth time (I lost count actually.) For a third time I migrated 300 apps, took three more hours. That's a full day, babysitting my device. Why can't I restore my backup manually?

And why were my settings not backed up? Battery saver, quiet hours, cortana even forgot my name, back button shouldn't ducking vibrate, rotation lock should be on at all times, NFC should be off, no tap to pay, My phone forgot Hundreds of wifi passwords (strangely enough, it remembers most of the open hotspots I've used and a grand total of TWO secured ones. Out of about a hundred...) the phone forgot custom settings for all 300 of my notification providers, detailed and quick status on the lock screen was reset, never require sign in, but have a PIN, but no PIN for my organization, apps corner was reset, 24-hour clock, had to add all my languages, regional format, united kingdom keyboard removed, recognize non-native accents, magnifier had to be re-enabled, get insider builds, dolby audio leveling, dialog enhancer on, but no stupid flip to silence, brightness and color profile, motion data was disabled for some stupid reason, nokia account (why is that even a thing?) was forgotten, three more reboots...

Also Insider still takes two days before it will show me the latest build, apparently. Is there going to be a 4th update? Duck! Two days then.

How you expect unfortunate duckers to get back to their latest build quickly after a brick is beyond me.

• Edited by 3ICE Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:30 PM batter -> battery
    • Marked as answer by 3ICE Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:52 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 10:27 PM
  • My Lumia 1520 get boot loop after auto update too, f*** M$
    Sunday, September 18, 2016 5:30 AM
  • Say goodbye to all recent pictures, documents, and local app data as well. Backup is lacking.

Recovery takes 9-12 hours and 2 or 3 OS reinstalls. (+ 2 days waiting before you are offered insider builds again on either slow or fast ring)

Sunday, September 18, 2016 8:45 PM