none
Policies Folder Missing from SYSVOL/domain.local

Question

• Sorry - forgot to mention the new DC mentioned below is a Windows Server 2012 server and the MS article pertains to Server 2003.

=================

I've seen this issue mentioned in other posts on TechNet - specifically mentioning that a last resort would be to rebuild the SYSVOL tree (specifically this URL: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315457). My particular folder loss came after I had to bring up a new server in a one server domain (very small business model) because of an impending hardware failure. Once I brought up the new server, I transferred all roles to the new server and took the failing server offline. Without another DC to replicate to - somewhere during this process I lost the POLICIES folder (and of course access to group policy).

My question: Does anyone know whether the MS article above on how to rebuild the SYSVOL tree pertains to a single DC environment too? Is there any other option available to fix this issue in a single server environment? 

Appreciate any comments or help!

Russ Foszcz

Russ Foszcz

• Edited by rfoszcz Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:52 AM
    Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

You can follow the steps on this article for "Restoring and Rebuilding SYSVOL"

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816596%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 5:55 AM
  • Burak - 

Appreciate your response, but the instructions you posted assume I have a replication partner (which I don't). As I mentioned this is a single DC environment - no replication occurs because there's no other AD servers on the network.

Russ

Russ Foszcz

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:40 PM
  • I'm afraid the KB article about rebuild the SYSVOL tree doesn't work for your case. Because after you recreate the SYSVOL tree, you still need to do a D4-D2 restore from a reference DC.

Do you have any backup of your AD environment? If yes, you can restore from the backup.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

How is it going? Please feel free to let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 11, 2015 1:43 AM
  • I cross-posted this on the Spiceworks Windows server forum and found my solution at this link:

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-rebuild-the-SYSVOL-tree-when-none-exists-in-Act...

Thank you to everyone for the responses here but none really helped because this was a single DC environment and there was no replication partner. The link above explains how to manually recreate the SYSVOL structure and recreate the default GPOs.

Russ Foszcz

Russ Foszcz

Friday, September 11, 2015 3:21 AM
  • Thank you for sharing this here, it's good to hear that you are unblocked now.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Friday, September 11, 2015 4:24 AM