Database statistics jobs in MOSS 2007 with SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I need explanation & suggestion to identify the job(s) to run. We have 4 of WFE servers with SQL Cluster having SQL server 2008 MOSS 2007 with dec 2010 CU applied. As per article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678870(office.12).aspx#section2, there are two kinds of Database statistics jobs. WSS (scheduled daily )and MOSS (shceduled weekly.).  In our environment i see Database statistics job scheduled for daily run.

I hereby request someone to explain on the significance of the said jobs and precedence. How to identify the job in my farm (whether its WSS or MOSS job in the farm).

Thank you in advance

Regards,
    Ram

Ramakrishna Pulipati SharePoint Consultant, Bangalore, INDIA

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 AM Question on removed from Title. Clearly you have a question otherwise you wouldn't post
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:47 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Edited by Reach Ram Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Reach,

My MOSS 2007 database statistics jobs schedule type is weekly by default, but when I patch with WSS3.0 SP2, my MOSS 2007 database statistics jobs becomes to daily, and still daily after patching MOSS SP2. 

If you want it back to weekly, you can re-set the value with command.

And there is another post mentioned that MOSS/WSS with SP2 are both daily, and others about this topic, you can check,

http://mysharepointofview.com/2010/02/database-statistics-timer-job-for-good-and-for-bad/

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Updates SQL Server query optimization statistics for content databases. This job was updated significantly in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) to also rebuild database indexes. The job performs the following tasks:

1. If you have not installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2, the job updates the query optimization statistics by performing a full scan of key tables every time that it runs, which can be resource-intensive.
    2. If you have installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2:
    3. The job updates the query optimization statistics by sampling key tables every time that it runs, instead of performing a full scan.
    4. If you are running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or Microsoft SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds all indexes in the content databases every time that it runs.
    5. If you are running an Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds most indexes online.
    6. If you are running a Standard edition of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds the indexes offline.
    7. If you are running Microsoft SQL Server 2000, the job does not rebuild any indexes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678870(office.12).aspx#section2

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Reach,

My MOSS 2007 database statistics jobs schedule type is weekly by default, but when I patch with WSS3.0 SP2, my MOSS 2007 database statistics jobs becomes to daily, and still daily after patching MOSS SP2. 

If you want it back to weekly, you can re-set the value with command.

And there is another post mentioned that MOSS/WSS with SP2 are both daily, and others about this topic, you can check,

http://mysharepointofview.com/2010/02/database-statistics-timer-job-for-good-and-for-bad/

Thanks

Regards, Daniel
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Updates SQL Server query optimization statistics for content databases. This job was updated significantly in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) to also rebuild database indexes. The job performs the following tasks:

1. If you have not installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2, the job updates the query optimization statistics by performing a full scan of key tables every time that it runs, which can be resource-intensive.
    2. If you have installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with SP2:
    3. The job updates the query optimization statistics by sampling key tables every time that it runs, instead of performing a full scan.
    4. If you are running Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or Microsoft SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds all indexes in the content databases every time that it runs.
    5. If you are running an Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds most indexes online.
    6. If you are running a Standard edition of SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008, the job rebuilds the indexes offline.
    7. If you are running Microsoft SQL Server 2000, the job does not rebuild any indexes.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc678870(office.12).aspx#section2

Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:56 PM