none
Actual Cost in OLAP Cube RRS feed

• Question

• 2007 SP2.

Hello,

We have turned off the option for Project to calculate Actual Costs. We hand type numbers from finance into the Actual Cost column in Project Pro. This has worked fine for us in the past, shows the correct rolled up totals in Pro and PWA (project details). Now a need has come up to show actual cost in the OLAP cube. The issue I'm having is the Actual Cost in the cube are the "calculated" cost, or what we had originally forecasted. It is like the cube is ignoring the option to not have Project calculate Actual Cost. Is this a limitation of the tool? Am I missing a configuration option somewhere, or do I need to get a developer involved to grab the values from somewhere in a sql table?

Thanks

Micah 

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• It is a good thought, but one I have already tried. Using a formula to make a custom field equal actual cost only prevents the custom field from being added to the cube. If I use MDX, the cube process the actual costs before the MDX, so I see the exact same thing as actual cost. We have purchased SA from Microsoft, and I opened a ticket with them regarding this issue. After several calls to India and few weeks later, I got the answer I didn't want to hear:

"This issue was first reported sometime last year and there is no effort being put forward to fix. In order for actual cost that I type into the actual cost field to show in the cube, the task must be resource loaded. If no value is typed, or a 0 is typed, the cube will calculate actual costs even if the option is turned off in Project Professional."

So the work around is to load generic resources on the cost tracking tasks (with no work), and filter the cube view to only show those tasks. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but they did tell me the issue was resolved in 2010. We just aren't ready for it yet...

Thanks for the reply.

Micah

• Marked as answer by eMicah Monday, December 20, 2010 3:26 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 3:25 PM

All replies

• Hello eMich

that's interesting. I would have assume that the values of Actual cost are pushed to the OLAP cube, but sounds like it's not.

SInce you are using the "Actual Cost" field and then I would push the values into a customer EPM field. Then I would add the custom field to the OLAP cube.

The other option, is to crack open the cube using Visual Studio and manage the measures using the tool.  As you pointed this requies either a developer or a good BI developer.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, December 20, 2010 1:57 PM
  • It is a good thought, but one I have already tried. Using a formula to make a custom field equal actual cost only prevents the custom field from being added to the cube. If I use MDX, the cube process the actual costs before the MDX, so I see the exact same thing as actual cost. We have purchased SA from Microsoft, and I opened a ticket with them regarding this issue. After several calls to India and few weeks later, I got the answer I didn't want to hear:

"This issue was first reported sometime last year and there is no effort being put forward to fix. In order for actual cost that I type into the actual cost field to show in the cube, the task must be resource loaded. If no value is typed, or a 0 is typed, the cube will calculate actual costs even if the option is turned off in Project Professional."

So the work around is to load generic resources on the cost tracking tasks (with no work), and filter the cube view to only show those tasks. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but they did tell me the issue was resolved in 2010. We just aren't ready for it yet...

Thanks for the reply.

Micah

• Marked as answer by eMicah Monday, December 20, 2010 3:26 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 3:25 PM
  • Thanks for the background info. Good to know.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, December 20, 2010 6:25 PM