Minimum Servers / Collocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1.  What are the minimum number of servers required to implement an SCSM Solution (All Roles)?

2.  What server roles can be collocated on the same server?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends on the number of users/analysts that are going to be using SCSM and also if this is for PROD or Dev environments. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/scsm/system-requirements?view=sc-sm-2019)

Prod you would need a min of 6 servers:

1 x Service Manager Management Server

1 x Service Manager Database

1 x Service Manager Data Warehouse Management Server

1 x Service Manager Data Warehouse Databases

1 x Service Manager Console

1 x Service Manager Self-Service Portal 

Dev you could use 3 servers:

1 x Service Manager Management Server (Console & SSP)

1 x Service Manager Data Warehouse Management Server

1 x Service Manager Database (SCSM & DW DB's)

Hope this helps

PS

If your looking at a Portal then I would recommend using the free Cireson Analyst Portal over the Microsoft Portal https://cireson.com/products/free-community-apps/analyst-portal-community-free/

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for the response; appreciate it.

It is a relatively small environment so Microsoft's Dev recommendation can work, but my questions would be:

1.  Can we not have all the roles on a single server?

2.  Can we not install Management Server and Data Warehouse Management Server on the same machine?

3.  Can we not remove the Database Server altogether and put the respective Databases on each Server i.e. put MS's DB on MS Server and DW MS's DB on DW MS Server?

4.  What if we use a remote SQL for both MS DB and DW MS DB, can single server still work or we would still need one-1 Management Server and one-1 DW Management Server?

5.  Can we not install Console/SSP on the Management Server or DW Management Server?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

For a small environment, combining should be okay with the exception of the database servers. I strongly recommend separating the DW database from the other databases.

1. A sandbox environment could have the databases and the SM management server on the same box and technically work, but I wouldn't recommend doing that for an actual environment.

2. You cannot have two management servers (SM + DW) on the same server. They must be separate, even in a sandbox environment.

3. This is possible for a sandbox environment, but would have performance issues in a real environment.

4. No matter what, you still need separate management servers for SM and DW. That being said, the DW is certainly optional.

5. The console should be fine to install on the DW management server for an admin to use. When James mentioned 'Console' before, he was likely referring to a dedicated server for users to connect (which would consume resources that you want dedicated to one purpose or the other). I'm not as familiar with Microsoft's SSP, but the Cireson SSP/AP can be installed on an SM management server, although it is recommended to install it on a secondary management server. The main takeaway being you don't want any Portal resources fighting for the same resources as the primary management server (aka workflow server). I would assume the same holds true for Microsoft's SSP.

Also of note, if you do go with a full analyst Portal solution such as the Cireson Portal, you could likely eliminate the need for a dedicated console server altogether. In general, you only want to administer and only want to train your users on one single endpoint (console or website).

-Nick

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:21 PM