none
DPM 2016 - Lost disk storage. Now not able to 'Stop protection of group' RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2016 - Lost disk storage. Now not able to 'Stop protection of group':

Removing System Protection failed:
    Error 40005: The specified storage is unusable as it is a system volume, has existing data, is in an unhealthy state or formatted incorrectly.
    Recommended action: Ensure that the storage is healthy and mounted and then retry the operation.

Please advise how can I do 'Stop protection of group' via console or via PowerShell. Thank you.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you loose a disk in the DPM 2016+ Modern backup storage pool, you can remake the missing replicas by running the below command from an administrative command prompt.

DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA

That will remake the missing replica(s) on another MBS volume that has enough free space.   You may have to add a new disk and make a new volume to add it to the storage pool to make up for the lost disk. 

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 3, 2020 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Igor,

If the DPM disk storage is lost, it ”might” be that you won’t be able to remove the Protection Group, however you can still try with PowerShell by using the Remove-DPMChildDatasource cmdlet.

Example:

$PGroup = Get-DPMProtectionGroup -DPMServerName "DPMServer07"
    $MPGroup = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $PGroup[0]
    $PObjects = Get-DPMDatasource -ProtectionGroup $PGroup
    Remove-DPMChildDatasource -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup -ChildDatasource $PObjects[8]

If you remove the protection agents that have protected worklods in the protection group, you can also try by force removing the protection agents and check if the protected data gets removed.

1. Launch the DPM Management Shell on the DPM Server

2. Type the name of the remove script: Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

3. Enter the name of the DPM server.

4. Enter the name of the machine to remove

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:44 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Thank you so much for your answer. The code you give example isn't correct and end ups with errors. I changed last 2 lines and it run with no error:

PS C:\> $PGroup = Get-DPMProtectionGroup -DPMServerName dpm

PS C:\> $PGroup

Name ProtectionMethod
    ---- ----------------
    FS   Short-term using disk
    MD   Short-term using disk
    DCs  Short-term using disk <<<<<< needs to be deleted
    DB   Short-term using disk

PS C:\> $MPGroup = Get-DPMModifiableProtectionGroup $PGroup[2]

PS C:\> $MPGroup

Name ProtectionMethod
    ---- ----------------
    DCs  Short-term using disk

PS C:\> $PObjects = Get-DPMDatasource -ProtectionGroup $PGroup[2]

PS C:\> $PObjects

Computer Name              ObjectType
    -------- ----              ----------
    DC01     System Protection System Protection
    DC02     System Protection System Protection

PS C:\> Remove-DPMChildDatasource -ProtectionGroup $MPGroup -ChildDatasource $PObjects

And after that I run Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 but errors appears:

PS C:\> Remove-ProductionServer.ps1
    DPMServer:: dpm.kms.local
    PSName:: dc01.kms.local
    There is failure while removing production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2016\DPM\DPM\bin\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 : DPM was unable to remove the protected computer dc01.kms.local, which includes active or inactive protection
    on this DPM server.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Remove-ProductionServer.ps1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

Delete any active protection for this protected computer and then retry the operation.

So, what else you can recommend? It is very dummy that DPM cannot remove protection group. What should I do in this unpleasant situation? I cannot even create new protection group with BMR on that servers (dc01, dc02). Please help.

• Edited by Igor.Golovin Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:07 AM
  • That's what I was afraid of, do you currently have any backups running at all in your DPM environment?

You will not be able to remove the protection group or agents linked to the protection group, unless you do it in the DPM database, but tampering with the DPM database is unsupported.

Reinstalling DPM might be a faster solution in this scenario.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Leon, I truly appreciate your answers. But it's NOT a good solution to reinstall DPM server with many protection groups (many disks) if I lost only one protection group (one disk) and want to just delete it and create it again! There should be safe and practical solution.

In case of reinstalling DPM should I do it in place (on top) or I need reinstall whole server from the scratch? And how about my other protection groups in case of complete re-installation? Can I import them to new DPM server? All backups (storage groups) located on a SAN and connect via iSCSI to DPM.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:07 AM
  • How did you lose the disk?

There are two ways of reinstalling DPM:

1. Reinstall DPM with the ”retain database” option. If you choose this method you will have every backup, agent and protection group left, but your problematic protection group will still exist.

2. Reinstall DPM from scratch. You will lose all backups and data.

If you have a support agreement with Microsoft, you could create a ticket to them and they ”may” be able to delete the protection group from the DPM database.

If you haven’t got any support agreements, you can still create a support ticket but it will come at a cost.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

If you loose a disk in the DPM 2016+ Modern backup storage pool, you can remake the missing replicas by running the below command from an administrative command prompt.

DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA

That will remake the missing replica(s) on another MBS volume that has enough free space.   You may have to add a new disk and make a new volume to add it to the storage pool to make up for the lost disk. 

Regards
    Mike Jacquet

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, January 3, 2020 9:28 PM