SharePoint farm installation on 6 servers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We want to install SharePoint 2007 on 6 servers’ farm as following:

2* load balanced IIS Web servers (only IIS), the role of these servers are to accept request from end users then  forward requests to the next layer( web front servers).

2 *load balanced SharePoint -web front servers (SharePoint + our customized application which is hosted on SharePoint website which is running on port 80 and uses NTLM authentication).

2 * Clustered SQL server

My question can we use such setup? If yes, what is the required steps to do on the first two layers to adapt such setup? i.e how can we configure first layer and second layer for such setup?

Is it required to use Kerberos to avoid double hope authentication between first level and second level IIS?

Thanks

Monday, February 28, 2011 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is going to be difficult to do what you are proposing above. And I can't really think of any benefit you would gain from such a setup. If it is security you are going for I would go the ISA Server route.
    -SharePointNinja
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:26 PM
  • what we want to put sharepoint in demilitarize zone,then we need also to put front of the sharepoint servers another load balanced webservers to deal with large number of request where these request will be forwarded to the load balanced web-front sharepoint servers.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

For the type of setup that is being proposed, I would suggest the best approach would be the split back-to-back topology covered on the page below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263513(office.12).aspx

As far as the double-hop issue is concerned, you could configure Kerberos to take care of that, but there are other methods to alleviate that issue if you prefer another authentication method.  They are covered on the following page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329986

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, March 11, 2011 1:36 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:03 AM