none
stubzone test environment RRS feed

• Question

• guys,

i would like to create a teste environment for subzone testing purposes. Do i need to create 2 DC servers with ipaddesses in a different segment(like 192.168.10.10 and 172.16.10.10) and with different domainnames or can i create and test a stubzone in my regular test environment(192.168.1.10 dc)

thanks for the advice

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Enlil,

>>Do i need to create 2 DC servers with ipaddesses

No, you don't need, you need to have a master DNS server for stubzone.

>>with different domainnames or can i create and test a stubzone in my regular test environment(192.168.1.10 dc)

Please follow the link below to understand requirement before deploying stubzone:

Creating and Managing a Stub Zone

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816809%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:45 AM
  • Hi John,

Many thansk for the reply. About the provided link, it doesnt give me that much information.

Let me give you an example. I got a small domain with one dnsserver(DC controller). Lets say i would like to find out how a stubzone works, do i need to add a second DC with dns to my domain and add the stubzone on the newly created dns server?

Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:18 AM
  • Hi Enlil,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Stubzone will only copy NS records and glue A host records from master DNS server, it will be queried like local NS records

Please check the article below to understand stubzone:

Understanding Zone Types

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771898(v=ws.11).aspx

If there have been many domains or LANs, you could deploy them to achieve Load Balanced of DNS server.

Best Regards

John

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by John Lii Friday, December 2, 2016 2:30 AM
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:29 AM
  • Hi John,

many thansk for the reply.

So i can create a DNSServer, lets called it mydomain.com with ip 192.168.10.10 and i create a stubzoneserver for  zone1.mydomain.com with ip 192.168.10.11 thats pointing to the 10.10 dnsserver?

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hi Enlil,

>>zone1.mydomain.com with ip 192.168.10.11 thats pointing to the 10.10 dnsserver?

Yes, you could configure 10.10 dns server to be master DNS server of stub zone.

Best Regards

John

Monday, December 5, 2016 7:21 AM