none
Setting Smart Card as default logon on after restart.

Question

• I am currently trying to set up Smart card as the default logon. If you restart a system it prompts you for username and password you have to click sign in options and then select smart card and type your pin and you are in. I want make it easier for my users by having smart card as the default sign in option as it was on WIN  7. I know that if I force Smart card logon it will show smart card as default but it will not give you the username logon option which is needed by developers. I also know about the Assign a default credential provider that allows you to lock the system and then prompts you for a pin instead of password. However nothing I have tried allows me to reboot my system insert my smart card and go straight to enter pin prompt. 
    Monday, March 13, 2017 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

One thing we need to know, if the logon UI detect a smart card in the reader, it will prompt you to input the "PIN", this situation is by design. I know you have searched for solution here.

Set smart card as default "sign-in option".

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/52bd0adc-343f-439c-a97b-e5f0b5c9563d/set-smart-card-as-default-signin-option?forum=w8itprogeneral

The GPO: Assign a default credential provider, and the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Providers

Can give us a chance to assign default Credential Provider, you could configure the smart card authentication as the default to check the result.

How to assign default Credential Provider in Windows 10

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/assign-default-credential-provider-windows-10

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Good luck.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:07 AM
  • I had read the entire post "Set smart card as default "sign-in option" before posting my question. I have also set the default Credential Provider  in Windows 10 as described. What that does on my system is if I have locked my pc by extracting my smart card it only asks for a pin and not a password. If I sign off or reboot it goes back to user name as the default login.  I have found no solution that allows Win 10 to act like Win 7. That presents the smart card as the default option and still allows you to use a username and password as another option. If we force the smart card as the login it does not allow you to use sign in with username which we require for our developer accounts. 
    Friday, March 24, 2017 10:57 AM
  • I am trying to do the same exact thing.  I've searched the internet in vain, and posted on forums ad nauseum.  it seems like this shouldn't be that difficult of a thing.  Just have the thing prompt you for a PIN if you insert a smart card, like Windows 7.  Why is that so hard?  Have you found any new information?

Craig Patton

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:24 PM