none
Hyperlinks for network path not working on not domain joined machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are trying to send an e-mail with holiday photos to our organization workers.

Then we added a hyperlink to something like this:

\\srvad\Files\Marketing\Public\Photos

On a machine that is not domain joined, when the user clicks on it, nothing happens.

If we send only the "\\srvad" part, it shows the authentication required box and the user is able to navigate to the very same folder and visualize the photos...

When trying to open the same link on a domain joined machine it works.

Any ideas? What am I missing?

Monday, December 10, 2018 11:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Vandrey,

Please try to copy and paste the network path in File Explorer to open on non-domain joined machines. Confirm if you can reproduce the issue. This action can help us to narrow down the issue to the hyperlink issue or network path accessing issue.

If the issue is related to access Domain Shared folder from non-domain computer, I think maybe you can contact Windows support for more discussion on the network path for non-domain joined computer connection.

Additionally, it seems that it required to enable Guest account and assign permissions to Everyone for the shared network path accessing. Please read:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/18527e9e-f0d1-44cf-99e3-1cee06f9ed29/can-i-access-a-network-share-on-the-domain-with-a-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:07 AM
  • Winnie Liang,

Hi! Copying the network path and pasting it on start > run (Win+R) it shows the authentication dialog box.

Well, at least I don't pretend to give Everyone access to my File Server. All shares are done with Authenticated Users. The workers that need access to those shares have user in our AD, only their machines that are not domain joined.

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:03 AM