none
Referencing a field from a resource table to a task table RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created a a resource field that is called "Internal Cost Rate" and I would like this field to be added to a Task table so that I can then reference it and make a simple calculation. For example in the Task Table I have the "Work Time" and want to do with a multiplication to a third field so that:

"Sum of internal costs" = "Internal Cost Rate" * "Work Time"

When I try to add or reference the field in my task table, it is not available. The idea is that I want the "Internal Cost Rate" to be with the resource integrated. Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ioannis

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Ioannis,

I think we have to make a step backward since it is not possible to calculate an assignment cost based on 2 rates. But there might be different ways based on your need such as the fixed cost, cost custom fields, cost per use, cost resources...

Please give us some information about your initial business need so we can figure out a way to help you.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by johnyg_ Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

This is a very common problem. to understand it, and find a macro that solves it, g oto

mvps.org/project and click the Faqs, it is FAQ 37: Extra fields in tables

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in but a couple of point for clarification:

Data added to fields in a Resource view are not available in the same named field added to the task view.  You can use some code to copy data from a resource field to an assignment field to a task field.  The issue is that when looking at a pure task view (such as the Gantt chart) the work is not per resource, it is the total work on the task.  Unless you have a single resource assigned or the internal cost rate is the same for all resources, displaying the data in a Task view is going to be challenging.

Would the Task Usage view work for you needs?  If so, take a look at the following:

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Data_Types:_Task,_Resource_and_Assignment

and 

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Custom Fields in Tables

for information on the different types of fields as well as some sample code (second link) to copy data between fields.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Ioannis,

I'd suggest you to use the cost rate tables which aims at entering more than 1 rate for resources. Than you just have to switch the rate table in the assignment.

See procedure here.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

thank you for the information. The problem with the different cost rate tables was that I could not get the value of a different cost rates that I have assigned to a user.

For example I set 2 different cost rates for a user one at table A one at E. I then have to assign a specific table for the task and the cost rate inside this table is then used. But for my calculations inside the tasks table I need to use both values.

How can I retrieve more than one cost rates for a specific task when it can only be assigned to one cost rate table?

Regards

Ioannis

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Hi Ioannis,

I think we have to make a step backward since it is not possible to calculate an assignment cost based on 2 rates. But there might be different ways based on your need such as the fixed cost, cost custom fields, cost per use, cost resources...

Please give us some information about your initial business need so we can figure out a way to help you.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 12:58 PM
  • Hi,

This is a very common problem. to understand it, and find a macro that solves it, g oto

mvps.org/project and click the Faqs, it is FAQ 37: Extra fields in tables

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:11 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

thank you for the quick responses.

The business need is to be able to calculate the sum of "Internal Costs" and "External or Offer Costs

The idea was to set per user 2 different cost rates. The first is the internal and the second one is the external or offer rate.

Then we have to be able to calculate based on the work hours the sum of this 2 multiplications.

In Excel is quite easy to set lets say a list of "resources" and each of them should have then this 2 rates.

Then I would just go to my tasks-sheet and set only the worker for this task. Based on the 2 rates which are already assigned to him (same row) I get the sum of "Internal" and "External" costs.

The idea that an assignment is with one cost rate table attached makes it impossible to use the other cost rate tables in the same assignment.

Regards

Ioannis

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in but a couple of point for clarification:

Data added to fields in a Resource view are not available in the same named field added to the task view.  You can use some code to copy data from a resource field to an assignment field to a task field.  The issue is that when looking at a pure task view (such as the Gantt chart) the work is not per resource, it is the total work on the task.  Unless you have a single resource assigned or the internal cost rate is the same for all resources, displaying the data in a Task view is going to be challenging.

Would the Task Usage view work for you needs?  If so, take a look at the following:

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Data_Types:_Task,_Resource_and_Assignment

and 

http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Custom Fields in Tables

for information on the different types of fields as well as some sample code (second link) to copy data between fields.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Thank you Ja and Julie for the contributes, really helpful!

Copying the fields could be a viable workaround.

Nevertheless only to close the question. There is really no possibility to retrieve/show the different table rates per resource? only the Standard Cost Rate is possible to be listed in the table? then I could use the macro to map the values to the tasks.

Thank you very much once again everybody!

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 3:21 PM
  • I assure you if there was, we would have told you :-)

As Guillaume notes, you may apply different cost rate tables in the Task Usage view.

You could change the rate table, switch to a task view and copy/paste the cost for the task into a spare cost field.   Then change the rate table back - and copy/paste into another spare cost field.

However, the macro would be easier.

• Unmarked as answer by johnyg_ Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:49 PM
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 4:23 PM