• Question

• i have Windows XP Home Edition

my .exe files are opening in Notepad

im told its a corruption in Windows.

How do i fix this ?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:39 PM

Answers

• thank you so much for answering.

i cant do a restore, because i have no idea how long this has been happening. i had a problem with my MacaFee program & when they went in to fix it, they found the problem. they said i should  contact Windows & say that " my exe files are opening in Notepad, that there is some kind of corruption in Windows "  so i really have no idea what it is or when it started.  I had just re-newed my subscription to MacaFee, so  i thought to remove the new Macafee 7 RE-install. that didnt change anything.

as to your instructions, I got as far as Step # 7 & then you lost me ( lol )  I think im way too old for this " tech " stuff.  I know a lot about my pc , but when you really get into the guts of it, im lost i dont even know what " file assciations " are.  sorry

i think i need  Tech 101

thanks for trying

ml anderson

Lol, no one's too old for tech stuff especially if its a Windows product.

A file association is a mapping of file extension to programs used to open that file extension.e.g

.doc->MSWORD

.txt->notepad

.pdf->adobe acrobat reader

as per the steps, i suggest you follow the steps here for better results.Goodluck

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:34 PM

All replies

• TRY THIS TO CHECK THAT THE FILE ASSOCIATIONS ARE NOT MESSED UP:

if the problem started recently, i suggest you do a system restore(start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore), and restore the computer to a day before the problem started.

if that doesn't work, then manually set your file associations and default program associations.

double-click my computer on the desktop OR just open any windows explorer window to browse your files

Click on the "My Computer" option in the Start menu.

Click on the "Tools" tab along the menu bar.

Click on the "Folder Options" option.

Click on the "View" tab.

Make sure the "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked, so you can see the full filenames in Windows XP, including file type associations.

Click "OK" and close the "Folder Options" window.

Right-click on a file you wish to change.

Click on the "Properties" option in the right-click context menu.

Click the "Open with..." button in the "Properties" window. Note that the file may already have a file type association saved for it (it will display the icon of the associated application). Be aware that the button may be captioned "Change..." instead of "Open with...," depending on the version of Windows XP you are using.

Click on an application to choose a different file type association for your selected file type. You may also click "Browse" if the application you wish to use for your new file type association is not listed.

Click "OK" once you have chosen a file type association.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:11 PM

i cant do a restore, because i have no idea how long this has been happening. i had a problem with my MacaFee program & when they went in to fix it, they found the problem. they said i should  contact Windows & say that " my exe files are opening in Notepad, that there is some kind of corruption in Windows "  so i really have no idea what it is or when it started.  I had just re-newed my subscription to MacaFee, so  i thought to remove the new Macafee 7 RE-install. that didnt change anything.

as to your instructions, I got as far as Step # 7 & then you lost me ( lol )  I think im way too old for this " tech " stuff.  I know a lot about my pc , but when you really get into the guts of it, im lost i dont even know what " file assciations " are.  sorry

i think i need  Tech 101

thanks for trying

ml anderson
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:40 PM

i think i need  Tech 101

thanks for trying

ml anderson

Lol, no one's too old for tech stuff especially if its a Windows product.

A file association is a mapping of file extension to programs used to open that file extension.e.g

.doc->MSWORD

.txt->notepad

.pdf->adobe acrobat reader

as per the steps, i suggest you follow the steps here for better results.Goodluck

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, March 29, 2011 10:17 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand that this is Windows Vista Forum. In order to get the answer effectively, it is also recommended to post a new thread in Windows XP Forum for discussion.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:41 AM