Mailbox moves stuck at 0% - StalledDueToHA RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DAG with 2 members. When I shutdown one member,  databases failover and become active on the surviving DAG member. But after if I attempt to move mailbox from one database to another, the move is stuck at 0% progress. When I run get-moveRequestStatistics I see the statusDetail as StalledDueToHA. Only when I start back up the Dag member that was shutdown, does the move successfully complete. If I don't start back up the server, I receive an error after half hour, about the failed move:

"Move is stalled because dataMoveReplicationConstraint is not satisfied for the database "DB1" because database does not satisfy constraint SecondCopy. There are no healthy database copies. "

However the failover worked fine, and the database copies have been activated and mounted. I can also access email on owa/outlook fine.
    If i run get-mailboxdatabaseCopyStatus the contentIndexState is healthy for all databases

I then proceeded to set the dataMoveReplicationConstraint parameter for all my databases from SecondCopy to none, and now the mailbox moves work okay.
    I hope this is not a bad thing to do... Any ideas on this parameter ? I found out about this parameter here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638094.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123971.aspx

Monday, February 15, 2010 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Anand,

To make sure I understand correctly, the moves remain stalled and then if you start the other DAG node they begin to work? If that is what you are seeing, this is normal. The DAG wants to make sure it can protect and index mailboxes as they're being moved. If the DAG cannot ensure your mailbox is being protected on its other nodes (because they're offline, index is messed up, something else...) it'll stall the move just like you are seeing. It's a bit of a self protection mechanism.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    LMNOP
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:34 AM

All replies

• anyone on this ?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:11 AM
  • Hi Anand,

To make sure I understand correctly, the moves remain stalled and then if you start the other DAG node they begin to work? If that is what you are seeing, this is normal. The DAG wants to make sure it can protect and index mailboxes as they're being moved. If the DAG cannot ensure your mailbox is being protected on its other nodes (because they're offline, index is messed up, something else...) it'll stall the move just like you are seeing. It's a bit of a self protection mechanism.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    LMNOP
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:34 AM