none
Project Baseline Cost is set to 0 even though I have tasks and set baseline RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Online and Project Pro 2016.

We are just starting to pilot using MS Project to track Project Budgets at a high level. 

We added a "Labor Expense" Resource in Enterprise Resources and added this resource to the 7 tasks that will incur an expense.

Then from all the reading on this forum, we learned we need to re-baseline.  So we selected these 7 tasks with the Labor Expense and also selected the SUMMARY task (just in case), and re-baselined including "to all summary tasks" checkbox.

However, the "Labor Expense" Baseline Cost is still showing $0, and therefore the Cost Variance is off.

Any hints?

- John

Friday, September 1, 2017 9:52 PM

All replies

• The resource view is different from the task view.   Set the baseline on all the tasks or make sure that the resources you have shown are on also included on the summary.  They probably aren't because we don't typically assign resources of summary tasks.  

Have you tried base lining all the tasks and then see if the resources are summarizing.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Saturday, September 2, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Thank you Michael.

You are correct, we do not have Labor Expense in the summary row (not marked as budget item).

Also, you are correct, that when we re-baseline the entire project the Baseline Cost does get updated.

The reason I did not re-baseline the entire project before is because the project is underway, and I wanted to retain the baselines on already started tasks (and some have finished).   I did not want to re-baseline those underway tasks, and loose their original baseline dates and data.

Any thoughts on how to work around this portion - and retain the old baseline information for those task underway after I baseline the entire project?

- John

• Edited by JohnH4 Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:50 PM finish sentence
    Tuesday, September 5, 2017 5:47 PM