none
Weird problem with DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could someone explain this to me, and why this happened and what caused this...

I was doing normal recovery job of virtual machine, recovering to "different location" (not original location). However, I choosed the same Hyper-V host machine where this virtual machine was originally located when backed up, but i choosed the different hard drive where i made this recovery.

When i started this job, i noticed that this original virtual machine had shut down itself suddenly. After i looked the cause of this, i noticed that DPM had deleted original virtual machine and were doing recovery into same location and folder where this original machine existed... And yes, i'm 100% sure that i made recovery with "different location" option and i choosed different HD for this.

Also, I was wondering why DPM used same folder as original VM, because backups (specially when "different location" is specified) are always restored in folders like \\shared\VMNAME_Recovery.Point.Date_Recovery.Point.Time\

Also, this VM didn't start after "restore" job was finished, and VM status in Hyper-V console showed "Destroying xx%" (xx numbers running up very slowly) while/after this "Restore" job had finished. This restore job was extremely slow and didn't even show how much data has been recovered.

Kind regards,

Matti

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you look at the recovery destination dialog, you will see the following warning when you select the option to recover to any host.

Warning symbol: Restoring the virtual machine to the original server will overwrite an existing instance of the same virtual machine present on the server. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:33 PM

All replies

• Now I created new restore job with exactly same recover settings, this time it worked properly as it should work, the VM was restored exactly where i pointed, and it started normally after this second restore job.

Kind regards,

Matti

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

If you look at the recovery destination dialog, you will see the following warning when you select the option to recover to any host.

Warning symbol: Restoring the virtual machine to the original server will overwrite an existing instance of the same virtual machine present on the server. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I tought that only recovering with "Recovering to original instance" would overwrite existing vm's. Missleading.

Matti

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:40 AM