WSUS or Software Update on SCCM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I have a WSUS on my network, and I'm going to start SCCM too. Which one is better, start WSUS over the SU component on SCCM and close the WSUS or leave it over WSUS and do not start SU on SCCM?

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:33 AM

Answers

• If you're going to start with ConfigMgr (SCCM), I'd bury the WSUS and start doing all the update related things with ConfigMgr. Simple reason for this is: you get more control, you can control the restart behavior and so on. If you're going to use ConfigMgr anyway, then why would you still be doing the updates with separate solution? If I were you, I'd wanted it all to be on the same console and so for example all the process (regarding sofware updates OR application installs) can be configured to behave the same way for your environment.

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Friday, February 7, 2014 11:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:54 AM
  • It depends ... ConfigMgr provides richer reporting capabilities and more granular settings compared to WSUS, but there's a learning curve involved. You don't have to use a SUP right from the start. That switch can be made any time.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:27 PM

All replies

• If you're going to start with ConfigMgr (SCCM), I'd bury the WSUS and start doing all the update related things with ConfigMgr. Simple reason for this is: you get more control, you can control the restart behavior and so on. If you're going to use ConfigMgr anyway, then why would you still be doing the updates with separate solution? If I were you, I'd wanted it all to be on the same console and so for example all the process (regarding sofware updates OR application installs) can be configured to behave the same way for your environment.

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:54 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:54 AM
  • 1- Thanks

2- All you said is what I'm going to do, but I need to know which one is better in a real solution.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:21 AM
  • It depends ... ConfigMgr provides richer reporting capabilities and more granular settings compared to WSUS, but there's a learning curve involved. You don't have to use a SUP right from the start. That switch can be made any time.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, January 22, 2014 6:07 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:27 PM