none
Windows 8 Xbox music app RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to play some music using the windows 8 xbox music app but after signing me in i get the following message when i try to play music.

"Have you been traveling?"

"You can use Xbox Music away from home for up to 2 weeks.

"To keep playing, make sure you're using an account that matches your region."

"Did you know? With Xbox Music Pass you can download your music for unlimited access anywhere anytime. Perfect for traveling."

So if im understanding this correctly the xbox music app thinks that my Computer is in a different region than my microsoft account. Being as i live in canada and both my account and computer were set up using Canada as my home country I'm not sure why this I am getting this message. I am also assuming that it worked until now because it thought i was outside of my region so it let me us it for 2 weeks as it states in the message.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks

Pritch

Sunday, November 18, 2012 7:10 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the Reply. For some reason my xbox live account was set to United States when I live in Canada. I must have not changed it when i created my account. I also had to create a fake address for the united states because they made me fill out all of my contact information on the account before they would help me. Since my country was listed as United States I couldnt change it from states to province or zip code to postal code. The only way to fix this issue was to call  xbox live tech support.  They are the only ones who can change it for you.

They said it can take up to 6 weeks to change (though mine took 2 days) and your account will be unplayable during that time. As well the content you are allowed to purchase varies by country so if you have bought some content on xbox live that is normally not available in your actually country it will be lost during the transfer.

Note: You must also have your proofs set up here before they will help you as well. www.xbox.com/proof

Once the account region was changed I was able to play everything without a problem, except the music you are allowed to play on xbox music varies by country too :( 

I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem

Pritch

• Marked as answer by Pritch1 Friday, January 4, 2013 2:50 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 2:50 AM

All replies

• What is the regional settings of your Xbox account?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/apps/windows-8/windows-8-error-c00d1353

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/zune/software/account-sign-in-issue

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:13 AM

The Country/Region Listed under Billing Contact Information is United States. I live in Canada so depending on your definition of "Region" it would apply to me. I do not see a way to change this, if there is please let me know. Thanks
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:41 AM
  • I have same issue. My Account is set on UK, my PC is set on UK and still I can't listen to Xbox music. Although I live in Serbia, but that should not be an issue because my PC is set like I live in UK. Also i tried to turn off "Let apps use my location" and still i have issue. So is Microsoft forcing geo-location on their apps and hiding that from customers? To note, I have used Xbox music and it worked perfectly prior to few weeks. I have changed nothing on neither my account or PC, and just like so this issue occurs.   
    Sunday, November 25, 2012 10:54 PM
  • On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:54:32 +0000, Vladimir Krstic wrote:

I have same issue. My Account is set on UK, my PC is set on UK and still I can't listen to Xbox music. Although I live in Serbia, but that should not be an issue because my PC is set like I live in UK. Also i tried to turn off "Let apps use my location" and still i have issue. So is Microsoft forcing geo-location on their apps and hiding that from customers? To note, I have used Xbox music and it worked perfectly prior to few weeks. I have changed nothing on neither my account or PC, and just like so this issue occurs.

Lots of sites, especially those that deal with copyrighted material like
    music, video, TV shows, etc., check the geographic location of incoming IP
    connections before serving content. Note that this has nothing to do with
    any app or OS setting that allows the app or the OS to use your location
    (those setting are more typically used to serve you content that is
    appropriate for your location rather than block you from content that the
    provider isn't licensed to serve in your current location).

As for why it worked previously and now doesn't, it is entirely possible
    that Microsoft has only recently put the infrastructure in on the back end
    systems to check this.

The only real way to work around these kinds of restrictions is to use a
    VPN service that provides you with an IP address in the allowed region(s).

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

• Marked as answer by Arthur XieModerator Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Pritch1 Friday, January 4, 2013 2:50 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:06 AM

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Note that you may find that the regional settings and your Xbox account settings match but you're still having problems. This is a huge headache.

It could be that your internet connection is being routed through a server in another country, which is why you're being blocked. I have this issue when using Xbox music at work: My account and computer are set to Germany (I'm in Frankfurt), but our office's internet access gets routed through our server, which is in Switzerland, near Geneva. So, Xbox thinks I'm travelling and bing gives me search results in (Swiss) French. :-)

Thursday, January 3, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply. For some reason my xbox live account was set to United States when I live in Canada. I must have not changed it when i created my account. I also had to create a fake address for the united states because they made me fill out all of my contact information on the account before they would help me. Since my country was listed as United States I couldnt change it from states to province or zip code to postal code. The only way to fix this issue was to call  xbox live tech support.  They are the only ones who can change it for you.

They said it can take up to 6 weeks to change (though mine took 2 days) and your account will be unplayable during that time. As well the content you are allowed to purchase varies by country so if you have bought some content on xbox live that is normally not available in your actually country it will be lost during the transfer.

Note: You must also have your proofs set up here before they will help you as well. www.xbox.com/proof

Once the account region was changed I was able to play everything without a problem, except the music you are allowed to play on xbox music varies by country too :( 

I hope this helps anyone else who has this problem

Pritch

• Marked as answer by Pritch1 Friday, January 4, 2013 2:50 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2013 2:50 AM