Access denied to Q: drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

i have an app (crystal reports 11) that uses a odbc connection to access a database to create a customized report (ODBC-drivers are installed locally and works fine). When opening this report i get prompted to enter a startdate and enddate and are also given the opportunity to choose theese dates from a webcalendar. The problem is following:

The webcalendar (runs iexplore.exe) tries to create something, dont know what, in the q-drive and gets an access denied message (process monitor). For that reason i get an error message from Internet Explorer that Q: cannot be accessed on the screen.

Other reports works fine with other connections but this scenario where iexplore.exe tries to access q: is not working. Any ideas?

I have not tested to make a vfs install yet and would like, if possible, to avoid that.

Thanks,

E.O

Thursday, May 22, 2008 12:27 PM

Answers

• Whatever is causing the problem is attempting to write data to your install directory and is running outside the virtual bubble. This would explain why it works using a "vfs install". Given the correct credentials, a physical process triggered from within the virtual environment will be able to create directories and write physical data in %ProgramFiles%\installdir But that same physical process cannot write data to Q:\installdir because it is not running as part of the bubble and thus has no access to the installation directory of your app. Of course I could be wrong...
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:14 PM

All replies

• Update:

It does work with an VFS-install to c.\program files\ ...

Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Whatever is causing the problem is attempting to write data to your install directory and is running outside the virtual bubble. This would explain why it works using a "vfs install". Given the correct credentials, a physical process triggered from within the virtual environment will be able to create directories and write physical data in %ProgramFiles%\installdir But that same physical process cannot write data to Q:\installdir because it is not running as part of the bubble and thus has no access to the installation directory of your app. Of course I could be wrong...
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:14 PM