none
Managing Resources over an Elapsed Period RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to project and I am struggling with a couple of the concepts.

I have issues where tasks are run over elapsed time. I enter a duration of 5 days for a piece of work (these are five man days), this work will be completed over a two week period, as resources will be tasked to the project as they have free time.

When I set my start date to today and finish date in two weeks time, it automatically sets my duration to 14 days.

Is their an effective way of managing this?

Thanks

Ed

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:35 PM

Answers

• Edliddiard --

You are confusing Work and Duration, my friend.  Duration is the time span during which the work is performed.  Work is the actual effort expended by the resource to complete the task.  So, in your situation, the Duration is 10 days and the work is 40 hours (5 man days assuming an 8-hour work day).

To accomplish this in Microsoft Project, do the following:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and then select the task.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane on the right side of the view and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    3. In the Task Form pane, select the name of the resource, enter 50% in the Units column, and enter 40 hours in the Work column.
    4. In the Task Form pane, click the OK button.

You will see in both the Gantt Chart pane and the Task Form pane that Microsoft Project calculates a Duration value of 10 days.  Also, I would strongly recommend that you NEVER manually type Start dates and Finish dates, as this action causes the software to automatically add constraints to your tasks.  Instead, link tasks using dependencies, assign resources as indicated above to calculate Duration values, and let Microsoft Project determine the Start and Finish date of each task.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

You would need to enter the 5 days in the Work field as this represents the work performed by your resources.

Maybe this will help a little bit:

http://ntrajkovski.com/2015/01/07/duration-units-work-and-schedule-in-ms-project-2013-how-are-they-linked-and-some-tips-and-tricks/

Hope this helps

Paul

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:14 PM
  • Edliddiard --

You are confusing Work and Duration, my friend.  Duration is the time span during which the work is performed.  Work is the actual effort expended by the resource to complete the task.  So, in your situation, the Duration is 10 days and the work is 40 hours (5 man days assuming an 8-hour work day).

To accomplish this in Microsoft Project, do the following:

1. Apply the Gantt Chart view and then select the task.
    2. Right-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane on the right side of the view and select the Show Split item on the shortcut menu.
    3. In the Task Form pane, select the name of the resource, enter 50% in the Units column, and enter 40 hours in the Work column.
    4. In the Task Form pane, click the OK button.

You will see in both the Gantt Chart pane and the Task Form pane that Microsoft Project calculates a Duration value of 10 days.  Also, I would strongly recommend that you NEVER manually type Start dates and Finish dates, as this action causes the software to automatically add constraints to your tasks.  Instead, link tasks using dependencies, assign resources as indicated above to calculate Duration values, and let Microsoft Project determine the Start and Finish date of each task.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:40 PM
  • That makes perfect sense, thanks for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Edliddiard Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Edliddiard Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:11 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 8:10 AM