Is Eudora 7 compatible with Windows 10 RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• Might try over here.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=928225

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:09 AM
  • The question concerned EUDORA 7, not 'Windows' 7.

Eudora 7 is not Thunderbird.

Year 2008  comments probably wouldn't answer many Windows 7 questions.

They might answer a few Vista questions.

Let's try again and see your answer:

Is Eudora SEVEN compatible Windows TEN?

• Edited by CanaDan Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:08 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:06 PM
  • Not really a windows question. I'd ask the application developer.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:53 PM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Can the first person to upgrade to Windows 10 and use Eudora please confirm that it works OK?
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:19 AM
  • Dave, all due respect, but this is a dumb answer to an important question. If you had spent 5 seconds of research, you would understand there is no longer any developer for Eudora, but lots of us use it because it is still the only really good email program for Windows. So yes, this really _is_ a Windows question, and one you should have the answer to. I will be hoping to provide an answer in the next few days if nobody else does. I suspect it _does_ work fine with Win 10, and probably better than win Win 8.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Sorry, no I've never used it. Might try them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10?tab=Threads

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:58 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 12:07 AM
  • Isn't it though... Dumb, I mean.  No research necessary, I believe that if Dave had actually read the question, he may have been able to respond better. Perhaps he gets brownie points for just responding.

Well, I just loaded Windows 10 on other PC, and after backing up the entire Eudora folder to my portable drive, copied the entire thing over to the C:\Program Files (X86) folder on the WIN 10 PC. It came up with an error in the Eudora.ini file, but I expected this, because there are a couple of references to the C:\Program Files folder in the old .ini file. I believe if I changed them to C:\Program Files (X86) that it would work flawlessly.

I have been using Eudora forever. What, like almost 20 years, and it is still fine by me. No need to change it out for some newer email program that wants to do everything for you, but make toast.

I am in the testing phase with this, and the preliminary test is excellent. Once I get past that, I will let you know. I generally test these things for a month, so I hope you are in no hurry.

Rocco Rizzo

The ORIGINAL PC Wizard!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Saturday, August 1, 2015 11:28 PM
  • Sadly the fact remains that the windows server migration forum is not the place for this discussion.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:48 AM
  • Sorry about that. I came here via search engine. I understand your dilemma. Hope you understand ours'.
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 12:25 PM
  • THANK YOU!
    Sunday, August 2, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Yes. I run Eudora on my windows 8.1 yoga 2 and HP windows 7  and synch via dropbox

I upgraded the HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 10.   Eudora works fine.

I didn't reinstall eurdora - just upgraded windows from 7 to 10

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Yes. I run Eudora 7.1 on my windows 8.1 yoga 2 and HP windows 7  and synch via dropbox

I upgraded the HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 10.   Eudora works fine.

Monday, August 3, 2015 7:49 AM
  • I have installed Eudora on my new Windows 10 computer and it is running fine.  I was actually moving it to a new computer but the method should work as long as you have a copy of the folder where Eudora and its files are resident.

The way I did it is copy my entire Eudora folder to my windows 10 machine and then do a download of Eudora (use Google search of "Eudora download") into that folder.

All my mailboxes and e-mails appeared with no other work

Hope this helps others

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:41 PM
  • Hi there, hope I can get help.

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Eudora 7 worked fine in 8. However, the problem I'm having is when I click on a "link" within a post, a pop-up window appears telling me, "you'll need a new app to open this program." Opening the link takes me to the Store where a message says, "Your search for "about" had no results.

As has been mentioned many times, Eudora is still the best mail program out there even after all of these years. Been using it since the '90s. I've tried to get interested in more recent mail program, but they are just terrible. It amazes me that there is still nothing out there that can compete with Eudora.

Anyway, would appreciate some help or I'm going back to 7.

Saturday, August 8, 2015 1:48 PM
  • The way I did it is copy my entire Eudora folder to my windows 10 machine and then do a download of Eudora (use Google search of "Eudora download") into that folder.

Why would you need to "download" Eudora? I always keep my <Eudora_7.1.0.9.exe> file in my exe files folder. So just copy your entire Eudora folder onto the new machine and install Eudora over the top. 

I agree with other posters that Eudora is by far the best email client, despite no development for 10 years. If it could just handle fonts better, it would be close to 100%.

• Edited by jonrichco1 Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:15 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:12 AM
  • The new install is necessary in order to install the correct registry entries.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:33 PM
  • I upgraded the HP laptop from windows 7 to windows 10.   Eudora works fine.

I am in the process of upgrading from Win 7 professional to 10 and from what this other person says you do not have to do anything.  Will let you know how it goes.  I have used Eudora for every and like others have not found anything as good.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:59 PM
  • The way I did it is copy my entire Eudora folder to my windows 10 machine and then do a download of Eudora (use Google search of "Eudora download") into that folder.

Why would you need to "download" Eudora? I always keep my <Eudora_7.1.0.9.exe> file in my exe files folder. So just copy your entire Eudora folder onto the new machine and install Eudora over the top. 

I agree with other posters that Eudora is by far the best email client, despite no development for 10 years. If it could just handle fonts better, it would be close to 100%.

Hi all, I tried to install using the .exe file within the Eudora folder but setup runs then it stopped working.  I have Win10 on a Yoga Pro 3, brand new laptop so I copied Eudora from my old laptop and paste it in Program Files folder (Not X86 folder) and kept all the names the same.

Also, I can no longer open the attachments; seems like the attachments don't download properly when I open (eg. PPT or DOC) files it opens Powerpoint or Word but said file doesn't exist.

Please help.

• Edited by GT001 Friday, September 4, 2015 7:49 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 7:48 PM
  • I have had the same problem on Win 8.1 for several months. It occurred after some update, evidently.The solution is to access your attachments or links some other way. For example, to access an attachment, you will just have to have an explorer window open with your attachment directory, and click from that. For links, you will have to paste them directly into your browser. It is a pain, but I can live with it. There doesn't -- so far -- seem to be a cure. There is always the hope that Microsoft might identify and fix this compatibility problem. Changing compatibility settings does not help at all. This is a new Windows bug. There is no doubt that Eudora runs more smoothly on Win 7. I suspect that Microsoft will eventually fix the bug because Microsoft is extremely committed to backwards compatibility. That's one of the best things about the company.

Saturday, September 19, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Hi

Did you find a way to get round the Help format issue which no longer has a Microsoft solution. Under compatibility mode a solution is offered which is not valid. Launching the help inside Eudora generates a link to

KB917607

This issue was apparently solved by Microsoft in Windows 8.1 and earlier versions by providing an executable to install called

WinHelp(32).exe

The Windows 8.1 solution is not supported by Windows 10 and there is no Windows 10 version of the fix.

Thanks

Adrian

Friday, September 25, 2015 3:23 AM
  • My Windows 10 informs me that Eudora is incompatible. End of story.

So now I have to figure ouit how to convert 20+ years of mails to a format that another mail client (or other program) can read.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this?

Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:31 PM
  • It doesn't look easy, but this thread explains how to do:

Email migration from Eudora (or Thunderbird) to GMail

http://nerdfever.com/?p=2116

Monday, November 23, 2015 5:17 PM
  • This is how I got Eudora 7 to work with Windows 10:

How to run Eudora v7 on Windows 10
    http://goo.gl/yOdRZA

It does not require re-installation of Eudora 7, and appears to run and store data in /Program Files/eudora
    Monday, November 23, 2015 11:07 PM