none
Exclude Files and Replica and Recovery volume size RRS feed

• Question

• How come, when defining “exclude files” , and selecting complete volumes for backups, the whole volume datasize is used to calculate replica and recovery points?

So when I add “.mdf,.ndf,.ldf” to my excluded files, I expect only the remaining files to be backuped. This probably happens, but still the used file size of these excluded files are included in the estimated replica and recovery volume size.

Can this be fixed somehow?

Thanks for your reply.

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:15 PM

Answers

• Arun,

I don't agree with your point of view. I think it's best practise to define several PG's related to the installed software. So, SQL servers should be in a seperate PG from an Exchange server. These PG's are not changing a lot, including files. So database files wo'nt get renamed at all. Only backup's are made, but even these files can be added to the "exclude files".

Lets take a look at "exclude directories". When directories are excluded, and a volume size for the replica and recovery point is estimated, one can "Recalculate" the sizes. The exclude directories are, as expected excluded from the calculated replica an recovery point volume sizes. This is a wonderfull feature to prevent too large volumes to be reserved for replíca's an recovery points.

Now why does DPM lack this feature in the "excluded files" section. It must be a minor addition for a coming release update. I know modifying the volume sizes can be done manually, but then one has to go to the appropriate servers and have a look at the sizes of "exclude files". Not very user friendly.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by mheijkant Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:51 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:36 PM

All replies

• The initial estimation is a rough approximation used as a starting point. As we wouldn't be knowing how much data this volume become in future. Also the the files can be renamed (example a.mdf might get renamed to a.bak etc) and PG definition can change.

So extra logic to accurately get the size is not so beneficial. Instead you can modify the calculated value in the UI/wizard.

Thanks,
    Arun

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:45 PM
  • Arun,

I don't agree with your point of view. I think it's best practise to define several PG's related to the installed software. So, SQL servers should be in a seperate PG from an Exchange server. These PG's are not changing a lot, including files. So database files wo'nt get renamed at all. Only backup's are made, but even these files can be added to the "exclude files".

Lets take a look at "exclude directories". When directories are excluded, and a volume size for the replica and recovery point is estimated, one can "Recalculate" the sizes. The exclude directories are, as expected excluded from the calculated replica an recovery point volume sizes. This is a wonderfull feature to prevent too large volumes to be reserved for replíca's an recovery points.

Now why does DPM lack this feature in the "excluded files" section. It must be a minor addition for a coming release update. I know modifying the volume sizes can be done manually, but then one has to go to the appropriate servers and have a look at the sizes of "exclude files". Not very user friendly.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by mheijkant Sunday, November 28, 2010 6:51 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 8:36 PM