After virtualising SQL Server 2005, consistently getting aspnet_isapi.dll Deadlock Detected every day. RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

Our environment:

SharePoint 2007 SP1 August 2008 CU

1 x SQL 2005 x86 (Server 2003) - this was physical and has very recently been virtualised.

1 x WFE (Server 2008 x64)

1 x Indexer (Server 2003 x86)

I virtualised the SQL server onto a VMware VM 2 weekends ago, and ever since then between 8AM and 9.30AM each morning one of the SharePoint web applications grinds almost completely to a halt, and the following event ID is logged:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP

Date:          26/04/2011 09:25:54

Event ID:      2262

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      hc-cen-wx-ap-07.ukr.local

Description:

ISAPI 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll' reported itself as unhealthy for the following reason: 'Deadlock detected'.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-IIS-W3SVC-WP" Guid="{670080D9-742A-4187-8D16-41143D1290BD}" EventSourceName="W3SVC-WP" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">2262</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-26T08:25:54.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>1305090</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>hc-cen-wx-ap-07.ukr.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="IsapiExtension">C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_isapi.dll</Data>

<Data Name="UnhealthyReason">Deadlock detected</Data>

<Binary>

</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried pointing my hosts file at the index server, but also suffer the same performance problems trying to load the web application from that server, therefore this issue must lie with the database server and not the front end/application servers?

I really can't see why upgrading the DB server to a VM with far more memory and CPU capacity would cause this to happen - but my SQL knowledge is somewhat limited compared to my SharePoint knowledge.

There are several other SharePoint web applications on this server and they continue to respond normally to requests.

Any help would be much appreciated in troubleshooting the root cause and finding a resolution, as currently I have to restart the SQL service every morning during busy periods which is extremely undesirable.

Cheers,

Conrad

Conrad Goodman MCITP SA / MCTS: WSS3.0 + MOSS2007
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:06 AM

Answers

• In case anyone comes across a similar issue, this was caused by a rouge DBCC CHECKDB in the SQL Agent job scheduler. Eventually I was able to open Activity Monitor to find the locked processes and the command was DBCC CHECKTABLE Cheers Conrad
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• I presume that the VM is

a) not running on any of the servers used for the other components of the SharePoint farm

and

b) is running on a server that has either other functions than just this one VM or has other VMs.

If b) could you tell us what else is being run on this server (which other functions than that as VM runner and which other VMs). My (wild?) guess is that the answer might well lie outside the SP environment.

(If a - on which other (SP farm) server is it running?)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Mike,

A) correct the VM is not running on a server used for other components of the SHarePoint farm.

B) It only has a couple of dev VMs, they are just idling doing nothing. There is no load issue on the database server, it's a SQL deadlock issue on one particular database as the rest of the dbs/webapps respond normally during the issue.

Conrad

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:08 PM
  • In case anyone comes across a similar issue, this was caused by a rouge DBCC CHECKDB in the SQL Agent job scheduler. Eventually I was able to open Activity Monitor to find the locked processes and the command was DBCC CHECKTABLE Cheers Conrad
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:42 PM