RD Web Access Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am pretty far along in the build of a Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Server. All is going well, I am now at the point of configuring my RD Web Access Server and have run across the requirement for a connection name and id for use with Customer RemoteApp access.  How is this used by the customer once it is configured - do customers need to know this in order to connect (as in; the connection name is part of the web address that a customer browses to)or authenticate using connection name and id or both.  How does this present itself to the customer\user? This is important for knowledge of use and whether or not to attach or create a significant, meaningful name and id.  Thanx

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:27 PM

Answers

• the connection name and ID (that you can specify in the rdwebaccess.config file) are used for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection access. Its a Win7 feature (you can see it in Control Panel - it puts remoteapps from the RDSH onto Win7 client start menu, ie. the user does not need to go to a website first to get the remoteapps).

Usually, the above is taken care of by RDCB (if you use it as the remoteapp source in RDWA). If you use "one or more remoteApp sources" instead, that is when you would have to manually configure the specified file. Again, this is just so users can use RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feature of Win7. If you are not using this, then you dont need to put this in place.

Regardless of whether you choose to manually configure the config file or not, you DO need to do the following:

In the RDWA configuration page, just add the servername (servername.domain.suffix) of the RDSH server.

When users go to https://servername/rdweb, they will pull up the website and be able to log in, and get the remoteapps you provided on the RDSH server.

Make sense?

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

SUPER BIG fan of the Remote Desktop Virtualization Team!!!) 

My RDS blog: blog.kristinlgriffin.com

The new Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit is now available!
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:23 PM

All replies

• acotilla,

WHen do you see this requirement? Sounds like this is the connection name and ID used for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection connections which are made from Windows 7 clients. RemoteApp and Desktop COnnection heature in Windows 7 clients use the web feed from RDWA (by default: https://servername/rdweb/feed/webfeed.aspx) in order to connect and get the info from RDWA and display it in the client start menu. 

To be more clear, here is the info provided in the Help for RDWA configuration:

If you selected "One or more RemoteApp sources", you also need to specify a connection name and a connection ID. The connection name will be used to identify

RemoteApp and Desktop Connection provided by the RD Web Access server to the user. To specify the connection name and connection ID, on the RD Web Access

server, open the %windir%\Web\RDWeb\App_Data\RDWebAccess.config file in a text editor, such as Notepad.

Also,

The customer\user will only need to know the website URL in order to get to the website. by default this is: https://servername/rdweb. You can of course change using DNS to something more friendly.

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

The new Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services Resource Kit is now available!
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Kristen - thanx for the reply and sorry I am late - I was waiting for an email notification of a reply and it never came.  Your supplied text is exactly where I am finding this requirement;

If you selected "One or more RemoteApp sources", you also need to specify a connection name and a connection ID. The connection name will be used to identify RemoteApp and Desktop Connection provided by the RD Web Access server to the user. To specify the connection name and connection ID, on the RD Web Access server, open the %windir%\Web\RDWeb\App_Data\RDWebAccess.config file in a text editor, such as Notepad.

Am I reading this wrong; it seems to suggest that I need to go out of my way to specifically name the connection and give it a separate id. This will be a standalone server, not 'farmed'.  Are you saying that I should disregard the instructions as it names the connection as the default server? Or did I just misunderstand what it is saying?  <Servername>\RDweb as default connection name would be fine btw, I just did not get that from the text.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:31 PM
  • the connection name and ID (that you can specify in the rdwebaccess.config file) are used for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection access. Its a Win7 feature (you can see it in Control Panel - it puts remoteapps from the RDSH onto Win7 client start menu, ie. the user does not need to go to a website first to get the remoteapps).

Usually, the above is taken care of by RDCB (if you use it as the remoteapp source in RDWA). If you use "one or more remoteApp sources" instead, that is when you would have to manually configure the specified file. Again, this is just so users can use RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feature of Win7. If you are not using this, then you dont need to put this in place.

Regardless of whether you choose to manually configure the config file or not, you DO need to do the following:

In the RDWA configuration page, just add the servername (servername.domain.suffix) of the RDSH server.

When users go to https://servername/rdweb, they will pull up the website and be able to log in, and get the remoteapps you provided on the RDSH server.

Make sense?

Hope this helps,

Kristin L. Griffin

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:23 PM
  • Yes Kristen - it does make sense, but I feel I am still missing something.  I may be obtuse, but I can't help it.

This will be a stand alone RDS server, 2008 R2.  We will be having Windows 7 clients (a couple of hundred at this wrtiing) and many Vista and XP clients connecting for RemoteApp and internal Web access.  However, apps will only be available through LAN or VPN connections.  So, I had not planned on using the Remote Desktop Gateway piece or the RDCB.  I felt this was the correct route in that it is not 'farmed' and our RDS services will not be available without gettting through the firewall first (VPN).

So if I read the instructions correctly to set up the web access server I must choose between "select an RD Connection Broker server" or "select One or more RemoteApp Sources".  IMO, no need for a connection broker and I defintely desire RemoteApp access, so I choose the second option, ending up with one RemoteApp source.  Per instructions I will then have to specify a connection name when configuring the RD Web Access Server (by your answer, apparently this can or will be the https://<servername>/rdweb . This then leaves the connection id outstanding.  What is the significanse of this id and/or how will this present itself to the user\customer?

Thanx.

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Kristin actually has given the answer to your second part of the question regarding the ID.

"the connection name and ID (that you can specify in the rdwebaccess.config file) are used for RemoteApp and Desktop Connection access. Its a Win7 feature (you can see it in Control Panel - it puts remoteapps from the RDSH onto Win7 client start menu, ie. the user does not need to go to a website first to get the remoteapps)."

For the first part of the question - you can either specify RD Broker or you can specify other (2nd option) RDSH separated by ; sign. You also have to make sure that the server collecting the info is entered in the apropriate group on the RD Web servers service that Front end server.

PubForum.net Founder, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! Love Microsoft &its people to bits!
    Friday, January 21, 2011 11:37 PM