Lync and Unified Messaging integration RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following scenario:

- Company A hosts Lync Server 2010 deployment.

- Company B hosts Exchange 2010 deployment (including UM).

- There is no trust between these forests and this is not an option.

My question is; Would it be possible for the UM service for company A's Lync to be hosted by Company B's Exchange infrastructure? I know there is the option to use hosted voice mail policies to utilize a hosted Exchange service but does the same procedure apply to integrating with another company's (not a hosting company or hosted service) Exchange 2010 UM?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,there,

Per my understanding the "the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the hosted Exchange UM service" is the public UM server FQDN for the service provider and it can be DNS lookup on the internet for the on-premise Lync server to resolve it to build a call route to determine how to route Voice mail message.

Details you can check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398512.aspx  and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425807.aspx.

And I don't think the scenario you stated above is possible especially there is no trust between the two orgnizations.

Besides,another more information Lync Multi-tenant deployment guide for your reference.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial t

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, March 5, 2012 3:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hello,

You need trust between the Lync and Exchange forest for UM integration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398106.aspx

If Exchange UM is installed in multiple forests, the Exchange integration steps must be performed for each UM forest. In addition, each UM forest must be configured to trust the forest in which Lync Server is deployed, and the forest in which Lync Server is deployed must be configured to trust each UM forest.

I know there is the option to use hosted voice mail policies to utilize a hosted Exchange service but does the same procedure apply to integrating with another company's (not a hosting company or hosted service) Exchange 2010 UM?

This is only possible with a hosting provider, the routing architecture for hosted exchange UM requires configuration at the hosting provider to route the sip invites successfully to the UM servers.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:48 AM

All replies

• We worked through a scenario like this around RTM with MS architect while investigating hosted Lync architectures with EV support for customers with onsite exchange and the outcome was no this was not possible - may have changed with later releases however?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:45 AM
  • This was the conclusion I was coming to after doing some research.  However I just wanted to understand what is different about a hosted Exchange deployment compared to on premise when integrating UM with Lync.  The documentation for Hosted Voice Mail policies states that you should configure "the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the hosted Exchange UM service".  What Exchange role is this referring to and I wonder if an on-premise deployment can be engineered to fulfil this role?
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Hi,there,

Per my understanding the "the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the hosted Exchange UM service" is the public UM server FQDN for the service provider and it can be DNS lookup on the internet for the on-premise Lync server to resolve it to build a call route to determine how to route Voice mail message.

Details you can check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398512.aspx  and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425807.aspx.

And I don't think the scenario you stated above is possible especially there is no trust between the two orgnizations.

Besides,another more information Lync Multi-tenant deployment guide for your reference.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial t

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Hello,

You need trust between the Lync and Exchange forest for UM integration

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398106.aspx

If Exchange UM is installed in multiple forests, the Exchange integration steps must be performed for each UM forest. In addition, each UM forest must be configured to trust the forest in which Lync Server is deployed, and the forest in which Lync Server is deployed must be configured to trust each UM forest.

I know there is the option to use hosted voice mail policies to utilize a hosted Exchange service but does the same procedure apply to integrating with another company's (not a hosting company or hosted service) Exchange 2010 UM?

This is only possible with a hosting provider, the routing architecture for hosted exchange UM requires configuration at the hosting provider to route the sip invites successfully to the UM servers.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:48 AM