BizTalk management pack questions RRS feed

• Question

• so, the run as, what's the best way to set them up as far as objects? All targeted objects? Assign to a certain class? This kind of info would be very helpful if was in the guide.

Also, clustering is not supported, and the guide has a suggestion:

Resolution: In clustered environments comprising active/passive nodes, rely on the monitoring information displayed in the virtual node only. This is because the virtual node always points to the physical node that is active at any point in time.

How about disabling discoveries in a way so they ignore physical nodes, is this possible? Any suggestions other than this one?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

• For the discovery "BizTalk Server Role Discovery" I've disabled the BizTalk management completely for clusters by turning it off for Cluster Node, and Virtual Server. If you don't do this you get all kinds of alerts for your clustered BizTalk implementations.

I think this should have been set by the MP developers until the MP is fully cluster aware (if it ever is).
    • Marked as answer by jbn2050 Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:03 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• Here's what I've done with run as:

- for both profiles added the Windows account I created, associated to all targeted objects
    - in accounts, in the distribution tab, added each computer that hosts BizTalk

This doesn't seem very good to me, is there a more automatic way to do this? Could I select less secure, and then in profile add the correct class/object?

Here is what I've done with to overcome the cluster limitation:

- In the BizTalk Server Role Discovery" discovery rule, disabled the discovery for physical nodes that are part of a cluster and each physical node. So far this seems to sort of work and gives you BizTalk monitoring of clusters, only the virtual nodes seem to remain. I'm not sure if this is really working though.

It seems though, for this to work:

- BizTalk discovery has to run on the physical nodes first to discover components and add them to SCOM
    - then you have to disable the discovery and run the remove-disabledmonitoringobject PowerShell cmdlet.

Make sense to anyone? I'm sure there is a better way to do this, or maybe it shouldn't be done at all ;)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Brave man!  If this cluster work around is working for you, then it's probably fine.  Since the MP does not support clustering, this or an active-active approach are about the only choices you have.

I am not able to figure out what you are trying to do with run-as profiles.  They are pretty straight forward and there isn't any object association to perform - the MP has profiles, you set up run-as accounts, map them to profiles, and when workflows run that need a specific profile, the run-as will be the account that you specified.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  • The workaround for clusters doesn't seem to work.

For the run as, for distribution on the accounts, just select more secure and don't do anything else?

For the profile, just add the account and assign to all targeted objects?

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:15 PM
  • For the discovery "BizTalk Server Role Discovery" I've disabled the BizTalk management completely for clusters by turning it off for Cluster Node, and Virtual Server. If you don't do this you get all kinds of alerts for your clustered BizTalk implementations.

I think this should have been set by the MP developers until the MP is fully cluster aware (if it ever is).
    • Marked as answer by jbn2050 Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:03 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Are there any updates to the BizTalk managment pack in the future that might enable cluster support for it?
    Monday, May 3, 2010 7:04 PM