none
Archive Outlook 2016

Question

• I need to free up space in my email server.  If I archive emails to a pst, will that remove them from the server? Or do I need to delete them from the inbox after the archive? My email is set as an IMAP, if that matters.

What I am planning to do is:

Create a file called Archive 2014, and archive all 2014 emails to it

Create a file called Archive 2015...etc

Thank you in advance

I am using Outlook 2016, not 365, not exchange...just fyi.  I apologize if this has been asked before.  I searched, and could not seem to answer my question.

• Edited by KristenLK Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:25 PM
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Archive moves emails from your local data file (.pst or .ost) to the archive file (.pst). If you are using IMAP account (which keeps syncing with the mail server), when emails are archived to the archive.pst file, the changes in the data file (.ost) will sync back to the mail server. In a word, you don't need to remove the emails from the server again. As a prerequisite, you need to first make sure all email are downloaded to your local data file. To do this, go to Account Settings, double-click your IMAP account to open the Change Account wizard, make sure the "Mail to keep offline" slider option is set to All.

In addition, we cannot set Outlook to archive email which were received during a particular time frame. We can only set it to archive emails which are older than a specific date. If you are planning to archive emails according to the year, I'd recommend you archive emails received in the older year first (2014 in your case), and then archive emails receive in 2015, etc.

For more information about archive in Outlook 2016, please refer to the following article:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Archive-older-items-manually-in-Outlook-for-Windows-fa03020e-55af-4eeb-94fb-925f640d942d

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 10, 2017 3:17 AM