Resolving FAST Search Event 6398 Issues in Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Failed to communicate with the WCF service.

e.g.
    Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.FSDictionaryManagementJobDefinition
    Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.FSAlternateAccessMapJobDefinition

I did find that the FAST Search server config in the install.txt differed from  contentdistributor.cfg

13390 in cfg and 13391 in install.txt

I don’t know if this is an issue but others have reported it.
    I have re-done the MOSS certificate and re-done the steps on both the Sharepoint server and fastsearch.

There are references to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff393738.aspxwhich is just a horribly written page. I find properties is greyed even though I am logged in as the FARM and Search Admin (set to the same). See below.

>> Does anyone know some plain English steps to resolve this issue ?

“Nctrl status” in fastsearch PS shows all ok, and the system seems to be OK except for these errors.

NB: https connection is not configured as i assume this is an option if you want it (i.e. optional steps)

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:31 AM

All replies

• Note, log has

03/22/2012 12:00:00.53         OWSTIMER.EXE (0x1A98)                           0x137C        SharePoint Server Search              Administration                        fvd2        Verbose         UserContextManagement::GetCachedSearchServiceAppProperty(FASTSearchAdminServiceLocation) -> Not in cache! getting from SSA/SSA-Proxy!        c122ae8a-331c-4e8b-b5d6-44e5dca32e25

Have checked posts and no joy, permissions look solid. I do not have a proxy set (i.e. no direct to FASTSearch) so i am not sure if "FAST Search Query SSA" Type Search Service Application Proxy" is meant to be editable as all 4 ICONs are greyed out (Manage to Permissions)

Event stack is :

FSAlternateAccessMapJobDefinition::::Execute-Extracting managed properties with IsMapped property from FAST schema failed. Ex: Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Common.AdminException: Failed to communicate with the WCF service. ---> System.ServiceModel.ProtocolException: The remote server returned an unexpected response: (417) Expectation Failed. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (417) Expectation Failed.   

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)     -

-- End of inner exception stack trace ---    Server stack trace:    

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelUtilities.ValidateRequestReplyResponse(HttpWebRequest request, HttpWebResponse response, HttpChannelFactory factory, WebException responseException, ChannelBinding channelBinding)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)   

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)    Exception rethrown

at [0]:    

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)   

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Service.SchemaService.GetAllManagedProperties()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Schema.ManagedPropertyCollectionImpl.<GetEnumerator>b__0()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.Administration.Common.ServiceClientExceptionHandlingInterceptor.Execute[T](Func`1 target, String errorCode, String[] values)     -

-- End of inner exception stack trace ---   

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.FSAlternateAccessMapJobDefinition.ExtractIsMappedProperties(SearchServiceApplication searchApp)   

at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.FSAlternateAccessMapJobDefinition.Execute

Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Greg,

Seems that you are getting a very specific WCF stack trace, and looking at this further, FSAlternateAccessMapJobDefinition is:

"Timer job that runs per search application and connects to the configured FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint farm deployment and fetches all managed properties that has the IsMapped flag set to true. These properties are cached locally and used for alternate access mapping scenarios. "

Most likely, you will see this message in ULS logs each time this timer job runs as there is something wrong.  Double check your user accounts, who is the user that runs the app pool for FAST Query SSA?  Is that user part of FastSearchAdministrators group?

Igor Veytskin

Monday, March 26, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Inside the links like

Central Administration :

FAST Search Query SSA: Search Administration

it shows Admin,  Crawl DB, Databases, Index Partition

IIS application pools shows the normal names (Sharepoint - 80) and lines with GUID names, each of these use ourdomain\wssservice . Under "Sharepoint web services" there is a collection of GUIDs plus SecureTokenServiceApplication and Topology.

There is a MS topic at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff381251.aspx which might as well be in Klingon, i have no idea where Application Pool for Search Admin Web Service is in step 6.

Using SP Powershell

PS C:\Users\wssservice> Get-SPServiceApplicationPool

Name                                     ProcessAccountName
    ----                                     ------------------
    FAST_Query_Admin_SSA_App_Pool            OURDOMAIN\wssservice
    FAST_Query_SSA_App_Pool                  OURDOMAIN\wssservice
    FastSearchPool                           OURDOMAIN\wssservice
    SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool      OURDOMAIN\wssservice
    SharePoint Web Services Default          OURDOMAIN\wssservice
    SharePoint Web Services System           OURDOMAIN\wssservice

These can't be IIS App pools can they be as i don't see this in IIS ?

wssservice is the id used over in FAST Search

>> Also, they has not be someway to expose the ports being used on the Sharepoint side e.g. 13391 ? On the sharepoint side i see no link to the FAST Search server even though i know months ago i set it up..

>> Some posts to point to "Content Distributors" in the context of setup ( http://blog.concurrency.com/sharepoint/cssa/ ) but i see no way to get back to this info >

Note: I re-did the SP side connection

PS C:\setupfiles> .\SecureFASTSearchConnector.ps1 -certPath ".\FASTSearchCert.pfx" -ssaName "FastContent" -username "ourdomain\wssservice"
    Enter the certificate password: ******************
    Installed certificate.
    Updated acls on certificates private keys.
    Your FAST Search Connector has been setup to use certificate, restarting osearch14.
    Connection to contentdistributor abc-fastsearch.ourdomain.com:13391 successfully validated.

>> No change to error

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Hi

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fastsharepoint/thread/d8549f44-b63f-41af-8887-1562ba23b7f0 has been stuck overt in the FAST Serach forum for two weeks and i was hoping for a fresh look at it. The error is on the Sharepoint side.

Many thanks

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:19 AM
  • In RE the post above, if you want to look at the application pools you are not seeing in IIS manager open a PowerShell window as an administrator and use 'Get-SPServiceApplicationPool' to see the list. If an account isn't running under the user you prefer you can change it with: 'Set-SPServiceApplicationPool -Account YourDomain\YourServiceAccount'.
    Friday, May 18, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Thanks for the tip

All Pools are showing domain\wssservice as i expected.

Regards

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Monday, February 15, 2016 9:07 AM